Monday, March 6, 2017



Outside my window...

It rained all day on Shabbat. It was WONDERFUL! To have absolutely nothing to do and
nowhere to go and just listen to the sound of the rain. Beautiful! The rain brought out the
Texas bluebonnets. I love this time of year! Our biblical new year is just around the corner.

I am thinking...


Of my mother-in-law. We are so ANGRY! Her nursing home uses a Hoya to lift her and
you're supposed to have two people to operate it. Somehow, they lifted her and dropped her!
Her shoulder is dislocated and her head was injured. She has had SO MANY problems with clotting/bleeding balance! If it wasn't for the fact that my step-father-in-law is VERY capable
of intimidating the staff into and admission of guilt (and if not, my sister-in-law has an arsenal
of VERY colorful expressions that will elicit a similar response), my husband would be on a
plane right now to deal with it and it would NOT be pleasant. Prayers for her complete
healing with NO complications!

I am thankful...

I finally got to visit The Compassion Experience. Princess Butterfly and I did the tour of a
child growing up in Ethiopia. I did not start sponsorship, but I will one day. This is a map of where many of the children come from who need sponsorship. These are the regions that were
most heavily involved in the Atlantic Slave Trade. The more I learn about it, the more it
breaks my heart, the more bothered I am that in the little room that represented this
Ethiopian child's classroom, the coloring pages were filled with pictures of "Malibu Jesus."
While I have great respect for the work that some Christian missions have accomplished, I am
irritated by the indoctrination of a European-featured Messiah. It completely destroys the
self-image of these children that begin to see the white missionaries as messiah substitutes. If
you have never been the victim of a narcissistic deception, you just don't realize how damaging
it is. I want to sponsor because I want to send pictures of my brown family to show them that
it is not their browness that causes them to be in poverty. It is greed and many other works
of the flesh.


I am wearing...


My favorite jeans from Lane Bryant, and a tunic blouse from Cato.

I am creating...


My great-aunt called me early this morning and left me a message that she loves her shawl!
I'm so happy to hear it. I'm glad I finally finished something. I'm afraid to start knitting baby
blankets right now. There are so many! My cousin that was the flower girl at my wedding,
my niece-in-law, and many more. I am going to start working on finishing The Grand
Duchess' blanket. Hopefully, after spring break, I will have gotten ahead so I can actually
have relaxing evenings without school work.

I am reading...


I have been making myself get back to reading New England White before I fall asleep, rather
than being on social media.

I am listening to....


Sanban singing. My son is home! <3 <3 <3 But now I know what it must be like for him to
do homework in his dorm. The Fine Arts dorm. Where lots of people are singing... When
you're trying to do homework.... Just kidding!!! LOL (He reads my blog.) I LOVE the sound
of my children's voices in the house, especially The Grand Duchess and Sanban. I sleep so
much better when they are under our roof too.

I am hoping...


That I did well on my Algebra test this morning. At one point during the test, I had only half answered a question. My professor walked by me and then backed up. He forcefully pointed
to the problem. At first, I didn't get what he wanted me to do, then it dawned on my how to
solve it. I now understand why my children could only successfully complete math
assignments when they were sitting within 5 feet of me.

I am looking forward to...


To spring break next week. I won't really be taking a break though. I will be catching up with
Algebra, writing a history essay, studying for a World Civilizations exam, and writing a book
report. Yes, what a lovely spring break I'll be having. Unfortunately, my son's university and
our college breaks are a week apart.

I am learning...


So much about the attitude we are supposed to have about the life we have been given to live
from our Shabbat study of Ecclesiastes. There imbalance in the world concerning how we
should live. So many extremists live so far out of balance. These verses are key, but if you
listen to the teaching, you will see where the balance comes in.

A few plans for the rest of the week...


Umm, college.

From the learning rooms...


I was determined to get caught up in College Algebra. At the beginning of the semester, I got
so focused on passing the pre-requisite that I let myself get behind. I had signed up for a
Math Lab that was supposed to help me. IT DID NOT HELP. First of all, when I am doing
algebra homework, I need near complete silence. The professor asked me to sit close to
someone who was on a similar section. She spends almost the entire class period helping her,
which means that she is sitting next to me, TALKING and TALKING, sometimes about math, sometimes about other things. She only interrupts her "helping" of the other student to
berate me for not asking for help (even if at that time I do not need help). "You paid for this
class. Stop sitting there struggling!" Turns back to other student, TALKING, TALKING. For
the record, I was not struggling. I may be slow at it, but most of it does actually make sense to
me. Also, I need positive reinforcement, so she is full of praise for the woman next to me
when she gets a problem right, but she approaches me with the attitude of "I know you didn't
get this right." When I did get it right, her response is, "Oh." The homework is mostly on the
computer so when I get an answer right, it says, "Great job!" or "Excellent!" That boosts my
self-esteem and encourages me to keep trying. Because I didn't need that one credit hour
(without it, I am still at 13 credit hours), I dropped it. They created the class so that you
would be forced to sit and do your homework for 2 hours a week, but I can do that same thing
at a time that's convenient for me. I can do it in the same hour as that class but downstairs in
the Learning Lab where so far the tutors have been VERY helpful and they only bother you if
you put up a sign that you need help. In the middle of last week, I was doing homework for
Chapter 2.5, while in class we were working on Chapter 4.5. Today I am closer to being caught
up. Hopefully by Wednesday, I can turn in homework for chapters 2 and 3 together.

I wanted to find a chat room where I could practice my French with native French speakers.
My first attempt was disasterous! I ended up in a chat room being hit on by a man from
Soviet Georgia and another from Egypt. If I haven't learned anything else in French, I have
learned how to begin a sentence with Mon mari... my husband. LOL!!! I finally found a good
one that I enjoy. It is called WeSpeke.com. You can filter the demographics of the people you
want to communicate with. I have had a couple of nice conversations with two very nice
women "of a certain age" in France. I am using Google Translate to communicate. I know it
is not accurate, but at the moment, I have a French vocabulary of a 3-year-old, so hopefully,
it will help me to grow. Also, it works as a message board so I don't have to be on at the same
time that they are. I don't know the time difference, but one of them was going to work as I
was going to bed. Also, I have discovered Google extensions and now have a French
spellchecker on my browser. Unfortunately, all my English words have a red underline.

Comments