Monday, May 9, 2016


Outside my window... Blue skies, sunny, and warm.  Yesterday it was so humid!  

I am thinking...  More painful than your own grief is helplessly witnessing the grief of your children.  The Grand Duchess lost a drawing that Dancing Angel made for her that she carried with her.  It made me cry when I heard it.  Not because she lost it, but because I can't fix it.  I have never been able to fix it. </3  I can't kiss it and make it better.  I can't bear it for her.  I can't think of a single thing that hurts worse than watching your children grieve.  

I am thankful...  My childrens' university has a parent network for moral support.  I only went to one parent network meeting just before The Grand Duchess was starting out as a freshman.  Car issues and other life situations prevented me from attending any more.  While I was telling a new university parent about this parent network, I decided to see when the next event was.  It was the monthly prayer meeting.  Interceding is right up my alley, plus, it was in a convenient location and time for me.  It was only the host couple, another woman, and myself.  All of us have a student graduating next week.  It was nice to hear the requests that had been sent from parents, students, and faculty.  They sent in these prayer requests knowing that someone was going to pray for them.  For me, faith to ask someone to pray for you is foundational.  I was happy to add my prayers (even though I really worked on keeping my COGIC roots on the low-key).  LOL

One day last week, I was walking our little dachshund when all of a sudden I felt no resistance on the leash.  I looked behind me and saw that the harness had completely slipped off of her.  Thankfully, she didn't know she was loose!  I was able to calmly get her to come over to me so I could attach the leash to her collar.  I was SO thankful that a squirrel didn't happen to come along or I don't know if she would have come back to me.  

I am thankful for Mother's Day with my family.  It is not elaborate.  BEFORE Mother's Day, Friend Hubby bought me the bistro table for the front porch and The Grand Duchess bought me a wonderful assortment of tea. I got hugs from my teens and then they were off doing what they wanted to do and that's absolutely fine with me.  My love language is quality time.  My children have always been homeschooled.  I have never felt the need to "take a break" from them so I love every single moment we are together.  It is wonderful to be acknowledged on this day, but being with my children makes every day special.  <3  <3  <3   
I have been sharing with a couple of people about mentally (if not physically) freeing yourself from a narcissistic mother.  Mother's Day is not a happy day for some people.  For some people, Mother's Day is like this:  

I want those people to know that they are not crazy.  I want those people to be free from the enslavement to an American holiday.  When the verse in Exodus 20 was written to honor our father and mother, keep in mind that it was written before the founding of America, before Hallmark, and before FTD.  Those are not the only ways to honor your father and mother.  The word for Honor in ancient Hebrew describes something of importance, literally weightiness. As opposed to something light and trivial. We are to place our parents in a position of importance in our hearts. They are not simply, some other people. Abraham is the father of the faith , but he picked up his entire household and moved to another location away from his father. That is not dishonor. There were no telephones or USPS in that day, so I wouldn't even say a phone call is absolutely required. I think a good example we have in the scripture is Moses meeting with Jethro. While he was in his presence, he honored him, listened to him. But there were no tracks back and forth to Midian once a year just to say I'm here because I'm honoring you. David honored Saul as a father, that even when he had the opportunity to do him harm, he did not. Jesus honored his mother by delegating her care to one of His disciples. Other places in the Torah paint a picture that we are to assist them when they are no longer able to care for themselves (even if that means delegating their care), not striking them, and not reviling (yelling at) them. We need to be cautious about adding to the commandments our CULTURAL standards of honor. The Bible is not an American book based on American culture or American holidays. We have to look at it in context of biblical history and biblical culture.

There is a wonderful playlist on YouTube by Gail Meyers that has some incredibly freeing information for people who are caught in an emotionally abusive parent-child relationship.  

I am wearing...  I got more clothes out of layaway from Cato.  I ended up giving the shorts that I bought to Princess Butterfly though.  I bought another Essential Tunic Tank Top, this time in navy blue.  I bought a light teal crochet top.  Not this one, but similar.  What I love about the crochet tops is that the tank top underneath keeps me cool, but layering with the crochet top keeps the sun off my skin while allowing the breeze to blow.  It helps to remain cool, yet modest.  I get SO many complements on the crochet poncho I bought, even at a fancy upscale restaurant my husband took me to last week.  

I am creating...  I keep getting asked when I am going to finish a knitting project......

I am reading...  I had to take Their Eyes were Watching God back to the library before I finished it.  I'm going to go back for it though.  

I am listening to....Last week, my Pandora alarm started playing this song.  I tried to stay in bed, but it was bothering me!  It was like marching orders!  I had to get out of bed and begin my day right away.  I need this song to come on my Pandora first thing every morning!  



I am watching... I started watching Carmen Jones on Netflix because before this past Black History Month, I don't know if I had ever heard of Dorothy Dandridge.    
   

I am praying...    I got word this morning that one of my high school classmates had suffered a massive stroke.  I am praying for his healing, but it is further stirring me to get my body in line.  I am trying to make sure I get in some exercise EVERY day.  

I am looking forward to...  My Grand Duchess' commencement this weekend!!!!!!!!  My baby girl is getting her master's degree!!!  Let the celebrating begin!!!  

A few plans for the rest of the week:  I am working on getting my college transcripts together so that I can move forward with the admissions process at the community college.  I am also trying to get all the badges put in individual bags that my Girl Scouts have earned over the past 2 years.  We didn't buy badges last year, but this year we are bridging from Seniors to Ambassadors so I wanted to make sure they had all the badges for this level.    

From the learning rooms... 
Senior:    A conversation that took place last week.
Sanban:  Have you seen The Way Things Work?  
Princess Butterfly:  I think it's over there on the shelf.
Me:  No, I think I gave it to Munch (my 6yo nephew).  
Sanban:  Really? 
Me:  I didn't think you were going to need it as a senior in high school!  
Sanban:  For my skyscraper research paper, Yes!  

Lesson learned.  Hold onto your homeschool reference books.  You never know when you're going to need them again.  LOL 


Well, this is it.  This was the last Boy Scout merit badge I will ever sew on for my son.  MY SON IS AN EAGLE SCOUT!!!!

At his final regular troop meeting, just after his 18th birthday, he told the boys that the Boy Scout Law was something they should live by because they will need those virtues in real life.  It reminded me of how when he was first learning this, I matched each of them with an Awana memory verse so he would see how the Bible is relevant for every aspect of life.   
Two of Sanban's good friends have had their board of review and have become Eagle Scouts within the past month.  Ms. Sophia's son was one.  She texted me: "4%"!  That is the often quoted statistic of how many Boy Scouts become Eagles.  This article answers the question as of 2014:  What percentage of Boy Scouts become Eagle Scouts?  The percentage has gone up to 6%, but still, Eagle Scout is an extremely rare breed.  You know how I love infographics.  Here is one about Eagle Scouts.  

We are planning the Court of Honor now!  

Sophomore:  I have been putting together a Pinterest board with all the curriculum I want to use for her high school business education.  The goal is to make her familiar enough to get a good head start in her university classes in a couple of years.  
  
From the kitchen... I made this Slow Cooker Breakfast recipe for Shabbat.  I substituted out the ham for Jennie O Turkey Ham.  We haven't eaten pork in so long, The Grand Duchess was taken aback to find it in the refrigerator!  LOL  Because I had to cook it slower than what the recipe called for, I set my slow cooker for 30 minutes on high and then it spent the rest of the night on warm.  In the morning, I turned it on another 30 minutes on high.  I was worried about it.  I don't eat eggs at all so there was no way I was going to taste it.  My family actually liked it, except to say that it was too runny.  I'm going to try another slow cooker breakfast next week.  It was definitely a nice thing to have on Shabbat.     

Around the house...  I need to work faster at getting my new garden bed up.  Maybe I'll get more done tomorrow.  It's starting to get hot and my seedlings are not doing well.  

Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/ *

Find me on Facebook.

Comments