Daybook: Monday, February 23, 2015


Outside my window... There is a public swing set across the street from my house.  Every day after school, there is a blonde girl.  If she's 12, she's probably tall for her age.  My family refers to her as Swinger Girl.  Anyway, she swings on that swing set for at least an hour every single day.  When it was 40 degrees outside last week, she was out there swinging barefooted.  Now either that girl is a few cards shy of a full deck, or she's a genius.  Maybe that's how she relieves stress.  Maybe I ought not knock it until I try it.  

I am thankful... For the opportunity to make one of my best friends smile, I'll call her Ms. Sophia (which means wisdom, because of our personal women's conferences and also because she introduces me to southern phrases that I had never heard of such as, "If the Lord says the same, and the creek don't rise").  For Sister Do Bee who is so talented at finding things on the internet that she actually found me a free social media managing course!  Happy dance!  

I am wearing... Velour pants and a royal purple cable knit sweater.  I was wearing this while we did a cookie booth in the cold.  We only stayed for 1 hour, but we sold more in that one hour than we did the other day selling when it was 70 degrees.  

I am creating... I went to the knitting club again for the first time since November.  A frail looking woman came in late and very boldly, though there were people in the room she knew she'd never met before, asked us to pray for her because she had cancer, and to also pray for her 9-year-old grandson who also had cancer for the 2nd time. We added her to our weekly prayer call list, but I never went back to knitting club again until this past Friday.  I learned that she had died within days of that meeting in November, but her grandson was now cancer free.  Praise Yehovah!  She had bequeathed some of the items of her life as a knitter to the ladies of the knitting club.  Everyone got to choose something to take.  Even though I only met her once, I will look on these items that were hers and remember the boldness of her faith to ask for us to pray for her.  

I am reading... I had no time to read last week.  I've got to get my bedtime routine going again and I really need to discipline myself to cut off electronics after 10 p.m. (as I write this at 11:47 at night).  Also, I have now implemented a rule that my teens have to surrender their phones for 30 minutes a day in order to read.  I need to preach what I practice.   

I am listening to.... For the second weekend in a row, a Casting Crown song has ministered to me. What's up with that? LOL Not my usual musical genre. I hadn't heard this song in quite some time.

"Jesus, can You show me just how far
The east is from the west?
'Cause I can't bear to see the man I've been
Rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
You know just how far
The east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other" 


I am hoping...To hear from the transcription company I tested for on Friday.  There is such a thing as staying someplace long past the season you were supposed to leave.  I remember last spring that I said I was only staying with this company until after we returned from summer vacation.  I have stayed through change after change after change.  When change first occurs, I whine and complain, but then I see it as a challenge to overcome, but when you have seen your paycheck continuously diminish over a 6-month period of time, either you can't meet the challenge, or the bar is set so you're not able to.  

Exodus 5:7  “You are no longer to give the people straw to make bricks as before. Let them go and gather straw for themselves."

Exodus 5:11  ‘Go, take straw for yourselves, wherever you find it, for your work shall not be diminished.’ ”  



One of my favorite things... I am absolutely in love with this little girl being trained by her father what character traits to look for in a young man.  Post by Young Paris.  You will only be able to see this sweet girl with Facebook.  

From the learning rooms... 
Junior:  My son asked a question that reminded me of why I need to stay on him about reading.  Ugh!  He and the Grand Duchess were the youngest of my 4 children to learn to read, but when electronics came into his life, it is like pulling teeth to get him to read.  I cannot stress enough to him on how lack of reading affects SO many things in his life!  

Freshman:  Princess Butterfly and her team came in 1st place in the regional NHD competition, Senior Group Performance division, despite one of her teammates performing with the flu.  On to the state competition in May. 

Pondering these words... I am feeling a bit homesick for all the places we lived overseas.  
    


From the kitchen...  We have been fasting, so I haven't done much cooking, although our fellowship LOVED the Cast-Iron Skillet Calzone that I had made for my family last week.  I added more seasoning than last time, only used one green pepper, added sliced black olives, and once again used Immaculate pie crust for the top and bottom.  Since I got my glass cooktop stove, I haven't been able to cook with my cast-iron skillet.  This is great because I can just stick it in the oven.  My next venture will be to make a chicken pot pie with it.  
  

Around the house... Umm.  Yeah, about that.  Maybe I'll do something this week.  :-D

One of my favorite things... I was in TEARS as I went through these pictures and described elements of my great-grandmother MeMama's kitchen with the appliances in this article.  I never thought I'd ever see them again, including the pink refrigerator that I have been telling people about for YEARS! I felt like I was trying to describe an alien. I miss her SO SO MUCH! She only got to meet my first two children.  No One Lived In This House Since 1956. When He Moved Inside? UNBELIEVABLE 




















With the doors open:  
   
My great-grandmother's refrigerator was the opposite, though.  For her, the door on the far left was the freezer and the two on the right opened up the refrigerator like this.  

Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/


Find me on Facebook.

Comments