Daybook, Monday, February 2, 2015


Outside my window... 46 degrees and cloudy.  

I am thankful...For the fun time I had last weekend with my daughter, the Grand Duchess.  We did things that WE enjoy together without being hurried along by the menfolk in our family.  :-)  We spent a long time at an antique mall.  It was my first time.  Every stall had some memory for me.  One stall had things that reminded me of my mother.  I saw some of her Home Interior decorations, remnants of her avocado green and goldenrod kitchen from the 70s.  


From my grandmother's kitchen, I saw remnants of the thick heavy Buffalo China my grandfather uses to bring leftovers on from the restaurants he cooked in.  The weightiness of the dishes made me really miss my grandparents.  




There were samples of telephones from all 3 grandmothers houses that I visited in the summer,  This pink phone was at one of my great-grandmother's houses.  



I even found remnants of my great-great grandmother's things.  



What does it say about your age when you find your own favorite toys in an antique shop?  



I am wearing... Velour sweat pants and a long-sleeved knit top.  

I am creating... Still knitting a few rows at a time on the mitered squares.  If I can stay home on Tuesday, I will work on putting more of the squares together.  

I am reading... I have read 7% of The Moor's Account by Laila Lalami, and 29% of A Woman's Call to Prayer by Elizabeth George. 

James continues in chapter 3 verse 8:
No human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water (vv. 8–12).
Here, James is addressing an inconsistency that he sees in the lives of his Christian friends. The way they talked to God was healthy and positive, but the way they talked to people was unhealthy and negative. They blessed God, but they cursed people; they praised God, but they criticized people; they built God up, but they put people down.
They express gratitude for God's actions, but for their kids' actions they only express disapproval. They use nice, clean religious language when they pray, but they cuss and use crass language when joking around with friends. They speak respectfully to God, but are sassy and disrespectful towards other authority figures. For God, they demonstrate courtesy, but toward the cashier at the till that's moving so slow, or the driver who cuts them off in traffic, they're rude.
James says, "This doesn't add up! It's a sign that something's not right." The third observation about the tongue I want to make is that your tongue reveals what's under the surface. It's a marker of your maturity. When your words are snappy, unkind, impatient, critical, sarcastic, deceitful, or rude, it's an indication that something in your heart isn't right and that you have some growing up to do.
Your religious behavior may be impeccable. You may have devotions every morning, lead a Bible study, and go to church every week, but the way you speak to your family—your husband, your children, your mother-in-law, your parents—your coworkers, your neighbors, and your enemies, that's where the rubber hits the road in our Christian lives. That's the true mark of your maturity. Your mouth is like a spiritual barometer. It reveals what's really going on under the surface. 

I am hoping... That we will be able to join our city's recreation center so we can start working out again.  The Y is closer, but it is more expensive.  We don't actually live in city limits so I hope they let us slide.  

I am learning... I got the information to start the social media classes that I want to take at the community college, but I will look at starting possibly next semester.  

One of my favorite things... The Grand Duchess and I also went to see Selma last weekend.  We both loved this quote from the movie.  This was spoken by Amelia Boynton to Coretta King:  
  
"I’ll tell you what I know to be true; it helps me in times when I’m feeling unsure.

I know that we are descendants of a mighty people, who gave civilization to the world. People who survived the hulls of slave ships and crossed vast oceans. People who innovated, created, and who love, despite pressures and tortures unimaginable. They are in our bloodstream, pumping our hearts every second.

They’ve prepared you.  You are already prepared."  

A few plans for the rest of the week:  Cookie booths with Princess Butterfly.        

From the learning rooms... 
Junior: 
So, I am noticing that many of my friends who are homeschooling teen boys.  There is kind of a putting on the brakes where previously high achieving young men begin to drag their feet.  I have had conversations with other homeschool moms who lament, "He should know this by now," in reference to time management and self-motivation.  According to the Bible, young people become adults at age 20, not 18 like society tells us.  I feel at this time, it is necessary that while hormones are doing a number on his mind and body, it is necessary that I stay on top of the game in requiring accountability for finished projects.  What this may actually begin to look like is making sure that all homework for the next class is done before moving on the the following class's homework.  This morning, I asked about computer science homework, which is a Monday class.  Since he told me that was done, I had him sit down and do some Japanese before he went to work.  I'm glad I did because he had a challenge and was able to call a class mate and do some "facetime" (I don't have an iPhone).  Tomorrow morning, I will have him finish up what's due for Japanese before he attends his computer science class.  When he comes back, unless he needs to do something while it is fresh in his mind, and Japanese is all finished, then he will spend the rest of the day working on ACT Prep.  If we keep doing it this way, we should be able to pick science and Algebra back up soon.  Whew!  Homeschooling high school is not for the weak!  

Freshman:  
We are getting a bit behind in the at home tests for science, but the grades are looking good this semester!  We are getting ready for NHD Regionals this month.  

We are going to attempt to read a book together for English, Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.  
  
Pondering these words... This song has really been ministering to me over the past few days.  

     

From the kitchen... For our Sabbath fellowship meal, I made some red beans and rice that cooked in the Crock Pot overnight.  I also made some Butternut Squash and Kale Stir Fry.  This is not a shopping week for me, so I'm going to have to be creative with what I have.  I would like to get back to meal planning certain foods by day.  For example:  
Sunday:  Some kind of roasted meat (beef or chicken). 
Monday:  Stir Fry.   
Tuesday:  Crock Pot. 
Wednesday:  Leftovers?  
Thursday:  Pasta
Friday:  Sandwich night 
Saturday:  Potluck 

Around the house... In keeping with my desire to get organized little by little, I bought some plastic boxes to organize the pictures in our photo drawers by the countries were were living in at the time we were taken.  This is a challenging project because you can so easily get sidetracked going down memory lane!  

One of my favorite things... The Grand Duchess and I also visited a place called Homestead Heritage.  We had a blast looking at all the handmade crafts and the food in the restaurant was delicious.  I can't wait to go back.  We need a homeschool field trip there.     

Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/


Find me on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/Donalacasa

Comments