Sunday, September 8, 2013



Outside my window... Scattered clouds, 84 degrees. 

I am thinking... That I will probably apply for a job at the company I briefly trained with last summer.  I always said that if something happened to the company I am with, I would try to go back there.  Last week my company was assimilated by the Borg.  ;-)  This is the second time this has happened to me.  I just need to get through this next school year so My Diva can graduate.  Then I will begin to train as a medical coder.  

I am thankful... That My Diva had a good birthday weekend.  We were able to surprise her by taking her to an authentic German restaurant in the middle of no where.  The food tasted authentic and was very good.  

I am wearing... A T-shirt and shorts.  

I am creating... Nothing at the moment, and that is a problem.  I need to get a fall garden started.  I have been looking at sewing patterns, I've been pondering picking my knitting back up, but as of yet, I have done absolutely nothing.  

I am going... Nowhere.  I have no plans to leave the house today.  

I am wondering... What the future holds for my children, given the current state of affairs in the world today.  I could waste my time worrying about things I can't fix, or I can pray and prepare them for whatever they will encounter by demonstrating my faith through my speech and my actions.    

I am reading...I started a book called Being Polite to Hitler, but I'm not certain if I like it or not.  I don't think I'm 50 pages into it yet.  The children and I just finished reading a biography of Cameron Townsend, a missionary who had the New Testament translated into hundreds of South and Central American indigenous languages.  We are just beginning The Trumpeter of Krakow.  

I am hoping... As usual, to finish my work as fast as I can so I can spend time with my family.  

I am looking forward to...The fall feast days.  Yom Teruah (Feast of Trumpets) began at sunset last night.  Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement), and Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles) are coming.  We use the calendar based on the siting of the moon over Jerusalem, rather than the rabbinic traditional Jewish calendar.  If you are still looking at Paul's letters from a Western/American perspective, and not from a Hebraic perspective, you probably have no idea why a Christian would want to celebrate these "Jewish" holidays.  Please read Natan Lawrence's blog on the Feasts.  If you are still celebrating the birth of the Messiah on December 25th, please watch this very simple explanation of when is the correct time to celebrate His birth.  During Sukkot!!!
   

I am learning... In an attempt to stay on top of what my teens are doing in their higher level co-op classes, I am finding things to listen to between my reports so that I will stay on top of what they are learning this year, even in the subjects that I am not actually teaching.  I am listening to Khan Academy chemistry videos and books on tape of their English novels.  
One of my favorite things... Having a community of women to meet with on a regular basis.  Yehovah knew my heart missed the ministry of other women! 

A few plans for the rest of the week:  From our goal setting from our last women's Bible study:
1.  Spend some quality time alone in prayer EVERYDAY.  I'm talking REAL quality prayer.  It doesn't matter if it is in my bedroom closet or in my car.  I just need that one-on-one time with my Father.  
2.  A dinner game plan, navigating carefully around all of our extracurricular activities.  
3.  Continue plugging in lesson plans for the children and stay on top of what they accomplish. 4.  Do FlyLady as a part of our school day (15 minutes).  
5.  Exercise a minimum of two times per week.  Tuesday and Friday.  
6.  Take the online test to apply for that new job.       

From the learning rooms... 
Sophomore:
Bible:  We played Bible Outburst after Shabbat service.  I definitely see a need for some improvement.  I am dusting off Greenleaf Guide to the Old Testament for some pop-quiz questions based on this weeks' readings.  For the New Testament, we are working our way through Revelation.  Just reading, not going in depth at this time.      
English:  We have been finding wonderful graphic that list the specific details of what is needed in say, critically analyzing a persuasive essay.  This is so helpful when you know what you want to say but not how to say it.    
Math:  Geometry is new and challenging this year.  Taking SAT Math for the second time, this time with a better understanding.   
State History:  We haven't picked this back up yet.  Maybe this week.   
Chemistry:  The book finally came in!  This was concerning because only Module 1 is online.     

Eigth grader:
Bible:  Same as above.  It has been a blessing having her in our women's studies as well.  I prayed so much last year for her training as a young woman.  I feel as if she is actually getting it more now that she has joined us.  She is setting a great example for the two other little girls who are not there yet.   
English:  I have spent so much time with the sophomore's lesson plans that I haven't even started with hers.  I know we're supposed to be doing a poetry unit, but I'm going to have to look and see where we are with that.     
Math:  Still finishing up last year's book, but when she's done, I will have her take the tests for Algebra 1/2 and the first test she doesn't score at least 75% on will be where she begins the book.  She actually started the book she is on at Lesson 30 and would have been way ahead, had the competitive theater class last year not taken up so much time.     
History:  Picking American History back up again since it was waylaid last year.  We are starting with the colonial period.     
Science:  Didn't get a good score on the first module quiz.  I blame myself for not being on top of her work.  I found a great website to supplement her Physical Science studies.    
  
Noticing that... I have a higher line count at work when I start and end on time.  If I try to work to achieve a certain number, when I hit a challenging dictation, it slows me way down.  If I know I plan to get off at 5:00 p.m., no matter what, I try harder to work through it and get it done.      

Pondering these words... My friend shared a short video with me called How to Make Stress Your Friend.  This is the description:   "Stress. It makes your heart pound, your breathing quicken and your forehead sweat. But while stress has been made into a public health enemy, new research suggests that stress may only be bad for you if you believe that to be the case. Psychologist Kelly McGonigal urges us to see stress as a positive, and introduces us to an unsung mechanism for stress reduction: reaching out to others."      

From the kitchen... Making a meal plan is on my list of things to do today.   

Around the house... Thinking of making today my Weekly Home Blessing Hour day.     
   

Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

Comments

  1. I think it is important to know and understand the Jewish heritage. Even though we do not observe these holidays. I have a study book that a lot of home school families use, I don't have it at hand right now, but it is very thorough. Nice to see you here at The Simple Woman's Daybook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since we to are grafted into Israel, it is our heritage as well! Glad you stopped by. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very interesting!
    and a very well put together and full post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you incorporate FlyLady into your school day! Excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment