Donalacasa's Daybook: Monday, September 9, 2019

<3

Outside my window... We get a reprieve from 100 degree temperatures. Now the high is only 99.
I am thankful...
Last Sunday, Friend Hubby, The Grand Duchess, and I were able to travel to the university and have dinner with Crown Prince Sanban and Princess Butterfly before the school year gets crazy. I am wearing...
Denim capris and a sleeveless top. I am listening to....
I just finished listening to the audiobook The Coddling of the American Mind. Their website thecoddling.com kind of spells out what the book is about. Definitely a must for educators. I am watching...
Apparently, 25 years of homeschooling left me culturally uneducated. The Grand Duchess is trying to tutor me so I will be caught up. LOL Friend Hubby was playing vintage The Electric Company from YouTube videos and I mentioned how I was a fan of "EGOT" Rita Moreno, even though I had never seen West Side Story, so The Grand Duchess and I hooked up speakers to my laptop and watched it on Amazon Prime. I can check that off my list now and move on to other musicals that I have seen bits and pieces of but have never watched from beginning to end like The Hunchback of Notre Dame., which Princess Butterfly had me listening to before she left. Imagine, all that educating and yet being so uneducated. LOL I am hoping...
To get caught up on schoolwork this weekend. A couple of my textbooks were late arriving and the stress of not being able to do today's work today is irritating to me.
From the learning rooms...
I am starting to see where the draw of multicultural education is pulling me. Just like saying that I learned in Germany about a person who speaks three languages is trilingual, two languages bilingual, and one language an American, that's my take on the study of history too. It's not enough to know historical events solely from an American perspective. STEM is great, but in a global market, people will need to understand their competition's ideological background based on their country's history. Americans think as individuals, not as collectives in most things. Other countries don't necessarily think that way. The study of history helps to see where someone else has been, how they got to where they are, and where they are headed.

My sociology professor is the type of professor that The Coddling of the American Mind talks about. There are some professors that teach for the purpose of activism. Various ethnic studies, gender studies, yes. I can see where the purpose is activism. Introduction to Sociology, a freshman level course (just taking to fulfill a requirement too old to transfer) should be a class for knowledge sake. I'm to the point that by the time this class is over, either the professor is going to need counseling or I am.

I am really enjoying the U.S. History class I am teaching. I am giving them the assignment of coming up with a discussion question next week so that I am not the only person talking.

From the kitchen...
I had frozen some spaghetti sauce a couple of weeks ago. It was better the second time around! I used the Instant Pot to make butter beans without soaking them first. The time was quick and the texture came out great, but next time, I will add less water and more seasoning.

I also made some Panko-breaded turkey cutlets this week. Around the house...
Umm. I try to do SOMETHING every day. I really want to declutter but I'm trying to stay on top of my classes.

My self-care...
I sacrificed a few workouts because of being behind schedule this week. I tried to make up for it with shorter YouTube exercises though. On Sunday morning, I walked Ella for a mile before the temperature hit 80 (meaning before 8:30 a.m.). I am going to pack my gym bag so that I have no excuse to not head straight to the YMCA on my way home from classes. Shalom and blessings!

Comments