Donalacasa's Daybook, Monday November 17, 2018





Outside my window…


This coming week, the highs will be from the mid 50s to the high 60s.  Regrettably, we didn’t get enough days in the 70s.

I am thinking…


Of a friend from our first duty station as a married couple who recently passed away.  She and her husband always color coordinated their clothing. They adopted their oldest daughter just a few months before Dancing Angel was born.  Their daughter’s 1st birthday party was the first Dancing Angel was invited to.

I am thankful…


On Friday, through text messaging, I watched The Grand Duchess stand up for a homeschooled student.  She identified with this student based on her own experiences of having her abilities doubted by people who didn’t believe she should have a vocabulary as extensive as it was at a very young age.  Friend Hubby and I were SO proud. She waged her battle with wisdom and won. That girl will never know the battle that was waged on her behalf, but I pray that one day she will pay it forward. In the midst of our flurry of text messages, I reminded her of the verse that Friend Hubby and very carefully and thoughtfully had placed on her high school diploma (Proverbs 31:8, 9).  I think that we are all being challenge to go against our nature. Speaking up is not in The Grand Duchess’ nature. She is an introvert that hates confrontation. This is why we are so proud. She went beyond her natural inclinations to wage war on behalf of someone else. “May all people know of certainty that you ARE a virtuous daughter.”



I am wearing…


The change in seasons brought about a change in wardrobe:  long sleeves and sweaters. Along with that change, for me, also comes seasonal eczema.  So at the moment, I am wearing a long-sleeved shirt, not because I am cold, but so that I don’t scratch the rashes that are breaking out on my arms.  







I am creating…


Nothing at the moment, but I was very happy last week to get a box in the mail to a cousin who is deployed with the Navy.  I went to Michaels to buy something to make another craft, but I haven’t made it yet.

I am going…


Out to dinner more.  Recently, I went out to dinner with the moms of my Girl Scout troop that we graduated in the spring.  It is so weird not to have Girl Scout things to do. I think we really made a good team. Every mom had a hand in doing things for the troop.  I hope we continue this tradition, at least a couple of times a year. I wouldn’t even mind a campout.


After going out to eat with the Girl Scout moms, I realized how lonely I am for adult conversation.  When I attended the community college, there were more older students that were at least in their 40s.  Now I am in school all day with not many over the age of 21, I am so lonely for adult female conversation.  Through Facebook, I invited some veteran homeschool moms (stipulation of having at least their oldest child to be a high school senior or above).  I didn’t want to discuss the best way to teach reading. There may be a day when I host a dinner for younger homeschool moms, but I wanted this one to be for the experienced.  


Three other ladies showed up.  I had met them all at one time or another before.  Dancing Angel had babysat for one of these moms before she died.  When she was 3 or 4, Princess Butterfly was in a dance class with her children.  She also used to come to everything The Grand Duchess was doing. I distinctly remember her being in the audience at a spelling bee.  Another mom who showed up was my co-carpooler when our kids were in karate an Civil Air Patrol together. The other mom I had just seen a couple of times when Princess Butterfly had tried the homeschool archery team.

I am reading…


The Grand Duchess and I went to hear a historical fiction writer speak and we had a nice conversation with her while she signed our books.  For me she signed the book that I just finished reading not too long ago, Above the East China Sea.  For The Grand Duchess, she signed her newest book, Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen: A Novel.  I am currently reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.    

I am looking forward to…


Friend Hubby’s birthday is this week.  We’re celebrating all weekend. His father and stepmother are coming.  Crown Prince Sanban is coming home. Yay! We’re going to eat and talk and laugh and praise Abba for the year he’s brought us through.  Last year this time was so hard, so stressful.

I am learning…


I did a presentation for my African American History class on Thursday.  My professor had me go last. With my newfound skills in PowerPoint from my computer science class and my increasing skills of historical synthesis that have been coming along as a result of teaching World History, by the time I finished with my presentation, my classmates and professor were cheering.  My mother always told me, “It’s a poor dog who won’t wag his own tail.” I have to say that I am proud of myself and thankful that I am definitely where I am supposed to be, doing the things that I have been called to do.


I am teaching... 


In our Shabbat services, the big picture that I am teaching on is that a wise woman builds her house.  In the small picture I am taking my time going through what it means to be wise.  We have learned that wisdom is likened to the amino acids of proteins.  Wisdom is the building material.  Understanding is the process of building.  Many people want to show off how wise they think they are with trivial knowledge, but they can't take that knowledge to build something that will outlast them:  a home, a marriage, children, ministry, business, legacy, etc.  Next week, hopefully we will get to counsel.  

In my World History class, I have been teaching on the foundations of India, China, Japan, and last week, the continent of Africa.  Let me tell you, it is a challenge to fit 4000 years into one class period.  Next week, we are going back to medieval Europe, but now that we have a foundation on the other major world civilizations, we will always to check in to see what they were doing at the same time in history.  

From the kitchen...


This past Shabbat, I made butter beans and frozen collard greens.  I am always nervous making things that Friend Hubby usually makes. I don’t take his criticism well.  LOL. He raved over them and said they were really good. Success!!!

Around the house...


Time for that “company’s coming” clean.  

My self-care…

Because I have been exercising in my college Personal Fitness class, I have not been going to the gym much.  That can’t fly. I hate paying for something that I am not using. I need to go back to packing my gym clothes into the car.  I have fallen off the bandwagon of being more careful to use my apps to be self-aware of my fitness and nutrition. I know that I haven’t drank as much water as I should be drinking over the past couple of weeks.  That also affects my hot flashes. I had a hot flash in the middle of the night a couple of nights ago that felt like I was on fire with no relief. Then the furnace kicked on! I pay attention to how stiff I am when I get up from sitting in a chair for too long.  I don’t want that to be the norm.  On Sunday, I started getting cold toward the end of the day.  Rather than just sitting huddled up under a blanket in the corner, I got on the treadmill and made my 10,000 steps for the first time in several weeks.  I wonder how much better I can get through this winter season emotionally if I make it my aim to hit that number every day.  We shall see.  

Shalom and blessings!





Comments