Donalacasa's Daybook: Monday, June 25, 2018

Sunflowers
The Farmer's Almanac

Outside my window... A bit cloudy but 90 degrees.
I am thinking...
Of how irritating Facebook has become. There is a lot of pointing of the finger and blaming
for things that were started in the past. Now we're dealing with full blown damage control.
The sad thing about it is that some people who have joined in the fray would probably do
best to sweep around their own front doors. I am trying to pray that attitude into submission
before I have to be in the company of others later this week. This is why my introversion
time is so important. I am thankful...
For another great Shabbat with my family. The Grand Duchess had us taking another
personality test and comparing our responses with one another. It leads to great discussions
about why we are the way we are. It also highlighted how well our family balances one
another out. The final scene in the movie The Incredibles, that we saw last week had me
beaming with pride because they are a family who knows one another's strengths and
weakness and work well together in trying circumstances. I love that about my family.

Crown Prince Sanban is working Princess Butterfly's shift today. How fortunate the company
is to have changeable interlocking parts in my children. LOL I am wearing...
Knit pants and a top that I would probably never wear outside of the house. I am reading...
White Chrysanthemum. I don't usually read two depressing books in a row. I hope my next
one is more uplifting. My next read is called Code Name Verity. I am listening to....
I listened to this over and over again in my car the other day. I love his music.

I am looking forward to...
Seeing my sister Clarity and her husband and children at the end of this week. Whoo hoo! :-D
A few plans for the rest of the week...
Praying for my petty attitude about some things. Yes, I said it. Sometimes I get on my own nerves and have to laugh at myself. I'm posting this Petty Co-Worker Prayer because I recently learned that one of my new co-workers is a girl who was named for a flower and wants to be referred to by the pronouns "he/him" or "they/them" even though SHE still carries the name of a flower. I wonder if I could be fired for using the pronoun "it." Help, Yah!!

From the learning rooms...
I absolutely cannot teach from Streams of Civilization: Earliest Times to the Discovery of the New World. I despise curriculum that tells WHAT to think instead of HOW to think. I think I am going to be switching to Bob Jone's World History. It is probably off in some areas as well, but I need something that I don't have to constantly have my students proving the whole book wrong.

Also, I have signed up for my classes at my new university. I'm excited. This school does not have state-of-the-art technology like my community college did, but being employed by the community college and living around the corner from one of its campuses will be a definite plus. I am going to have to leave the house at 7 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays and drive nearly 45 minutes. I am not happy about that at all. Noticing that...
Sometimes the apple has to fall from the tree and hit you in the head for you to get a clue. Well maybe that is just how it happens to me. Within the past few months, I have had a request for biblical literature from a cousin who is incarcerated, from a qahol leader in the Philippines, and from my hairdresser who wanted to know What does the Bible say about Drinking? If you follow the link in the question, you will see my response to her in a blog format so that if I am asked that question again in the future, I will be able to refer to it.

A couple of months ago on an erev Shabbat, after my family had gone to bed, I was hungering for fellowship and I stumbled across a chat room where people are just on the cusp of coming into an understanding of the Torah, the Prophets, and the Renewed Covenant and how it all ties together. I got back on it after a hiatus from our whirlwind month of celebrations and they were listening to an old message from the late Myles Monroe. I remember a time when I thought Myles Monroe was so knowledgeable of how history has led us to this point in our biblical knowledge, but listening in again on Friday was like fingernails on the chalkboard. It was hit and miss. In the group discussion following, one gentleman in the room challenged my belief in the power of prayer. He took over the microphone (only one person can speak at a time) and put on a show trying to demonstrate his knowledge of the Greek of BlueLetterBible.com. I tried not to be that person who listens only to respond, but Yah was showing me his heart in his speech. He kept pointing to Scriptures where a parent prayed for their child but the child died anyway in order to prove his point that our prayers don't do anything. He kept saying that I wouldn't understand this because I have never lost a child. I was literally pounding the floor and praying that Yah would give me a chance to respond. He did not. The man talked for so long that the only people left in the chat room were him, the moderator, and me. I later understood that the reason for that is so that I can write ANOTHER blog on what the Bible has to say about prayer so look for that within the next month. I had written another blog post 3 years ago this month because I was frustrated at my inability to articulate what the word was saying about wisdom. That word study was called "How Deep Do You Want to Go? Pondering these words...
I had a conversation with another congregation leader's wife. She was telling me that every 5th Shabbat, they have a joint service with another congregation. Ms. Sophia has also put me into contact with another pastor's wife of a Torah Observant congregation. I would LOVE to do that with them! I have also started joining in a women's prayer call with another group of women. I am in need of an enlargement to my circle. I pray that Yah nurtures some of these relationships into fruitfulness. From the kitchen... For the past two Shabbats, I have known on THURSDAY what we were going to be eating on Shabbat. I have yet to come up to the level of Sister Elegant in how she finds a theme in the weekly Torah portions and ties her menu to it (which I think is SUCH a fabulous idea!). I would totally support her if she were to develop a website with some of those ideas. This past Shabbat, we had oven broiled chicken thighs that had been marinaded in McCormick's Grill Mates Brown Sugar Bourbon flavor, store bought potato salad (and coleslaw for my non-potato-eating son), and vegetarian baked beans. I am planning to include some form of bread with yeast (even if it's not challah) and some beverage that includes grape juice, even if it's not plain from the bottle.

The Grand Duchess has successfully made her first loaves of bread with the aid of her new KitchenAid mixer. She can no longer claim to not be a baker. She came, she saw, she conquered.


My self-care...
My little visitor has come and gone. I think that stepping up my exercise game has definitely had benefits on more than just my cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems. I haven't stepped on the scale in a couple of weeks because I knew that I was bloated and I hate being insulted by the Wii. I tried a Les Mills BodyPump class for the first time on Sunday. I only stayed for 30 minutes, but I'm definitely feeling it today.


Image result for leg day
Shalom and blessings!

Comments