Donalacasa's Daybook: Monday, April 2, 2018

Image result for sunflowers and pink

Outside my window...
It's coffee on the front porch season!


I am thinking...
I have not posted a blog since November 27th, but my statistics show that people have still come here looking for it. As we dipped our bitter herbs into the salty water during our Passover meal, I was reminded of all the bitter tears that I have shed between Sukkot and now. At my uncle's funeral a few weeks ago, my cousin sang a song that always seems to accompany dark seasons in my life. These are the lyrics:




[Verse1:]
I've had some good days
I've had some hills to climb
I've had some weary days
And some sleepless nights
But when I look around
And I think things over
All of my good days
Out-weigh my bad days
I won't complain

[Verse2:]
Sometimes the clouds are low
I can hardly see the road
I ask a question, Lord
Lord, why so much pain?
But he knows what's best for me
Although my weary eyes
They can't see
So I'll just say thank you Lord
I won't complain

[Chorus:]
The Lord Has been so good to me
He's been good to me
More than this old world or you could ever be
He's been so good, To me
He dried all of my tears away
Turned my midnights into day
So I'll just say thank you Lord, I won't complain 
I am thankful...
Passover was my goal through this season. There were so many changes, so many disappointments, so much heartbreak, but through it all I kept saying, "If we can just hang on until Passover." Passover is the season of deliverance and resurrection. Miracles happen when you get on Abba's calendar. Even between Rosh Chodesh, the head of the month and the beginning of three biblical new year (Rosh Hashanah), I thought I was going to lose my dog and I sat on my kitchen floor, held her in my arms, and wept bitter tears for her as well; but she made it too! She's lost some weight, but she is back to her old quirky self. I'm so grateful. HalleluYah!

I am also thankful for an answer to Crown Prince Sanban's prayers. Bless His name! He will officially be a member of the United States Air Force. That makes me a triple threat: Air Force Brat, Air Force Wife, Air Force Mom! <3

Also, The Grand Duchess is doing wonderfully in the job that she has held for a year and Princess Butterfly's job would like to make her the youngest manager they have, if she had the time. The blessing I read over my husband every Shabbat says, "Mighty in the earth shall be his seed." I rejoice in what Yah is doing in and through my children.


I am wearing...
A long-sleeved T-shirt I bought at Walmart for $2, my comfee knit pants, and my new Isotoner house shoes. I am reading...
I just finished The Kite Runner so I'm in withdrawal before I start something new. Last week, Princess Butterfly (who turned 18 in December) took The Grand Duchess and me out to eat to celebrate my birthday. The Grand Duchess and I were telling her how reading books is like traveling for cheap. Through this book, I have spent the last month in Afghanistan without ever standing in line at an airport. We talked about books that told the story of Mao's Giant Leap Foward and Cultural Revolution. Reading around the world and across the centuries is a gift not to be taken lightly.

I have also begun a devotional written by the woman in the video below. Humbled by His Presence: Meeting YHWH at the Threshing Floor. If anyone is interested, maybe we can do it as a group study during the summer.

I am watching...
In my own way, I enjoy connecting with women of like faith. I have spoken online with this young woman a couple of times. This video of hers was a blessing to me. She admits that the title is "bait," but her words are truth. They ministered to me as I prepared my heart for Passover.


One of my favorite things...
Celebrating my birthday with my family around me. Quality time is my love language. I feel like they went out of their way this year. Crown Prince Sanban came and stayed the WHOLE weekend. I appreciate my sunflower Mickey ears from The Grand Duchess, a delicious girls' day lunch from Princess Butterfly, and a fabulous turkey dinner from Friend Hubby, inviting Ms. Sophia and Rosa Parks (I don't think I have named her before in this blog. I call her that because she shares a MTBI personality type with the civil rights activist and I can just hear her calmly say, "But why?" if she was asked to move to the back of the bus. LOL). Rosa and I have been celebrating our birthdays together for the last 20 years. I told her we look good! LOL It was all wonderful, but having my family around me, that's priceless. Ms. Sophia is moving 5 hours away, so I have to steal time away with her while I can. :-( I am glad she was able to stop by for a few.
From the learning rooms...
Princess Butterfly didn't get into her siblings' alma mater. That was another heartbreak over this long winter season. However, we looked up how many credits she has and how close she is to an Associate's Degree in Government. Bam! She will have her AA degree exactly 1 year following her high school graduation. She can then transfer to the university and still be a part of the same graduating class. I am so proud of her! She is carrying a 3.9 GPA right now. She has finished her Girl Scout Gold Award Project. She is graduating at the end of May. We couldn't be prouder of our littlest princess.

I am also graduating in May. My mother always said, "It's a poor dog that won't wag its own tail." I am proud of myself too. Even more-so when I have to speak up for myself in a government class with a raging feminist about my choice to stay home for 25 years and raise and educate our babies and THEN return to school, being chosen to be in the Honor Society (which makes me the ONLY African American woman in my Honors Government class), and a Phi Theta Kappa member as well. I grew up in the public school system that had a culture of encouraging you to keep quiet if you were smart, if you wanted to fit in with the IT crowd. This time around, I am flying high and not allowing anything to hold me back. When I stand before Yah, I want to show Him that I did not bury my talents, but used them to point back to the Source! Since I have been in this public community college, I have heard students who are in favor of consanguinity (incest), against charity, and hostile toward their parents and grandparents' generation to the extent that they would see them euthanized or starving in the street. If the righteous don't take a stand, we're going to be in a real pickle.


"The wicked flee when no one is pursuing, But the righteous are bold as a lion." Proverbs 28:1
From the kitchen...
My Princess Butterfly is making up a matzoh storm! One of our staples during the Feast of Unleavened Bread is Matzoh Pizza so I am looking forward to that this week. The United Church of God has a plethora of unleavened bread recipes as well.
Quick Matzoh Pizza
Around the house...
Friend Hubby and Crown Prince Sanban have done the most. Sanban came home on spring break and painted the frame of the sliding glass door on the back of the house. Friend Hubby found a beautiful stain color for our fence that had to be replaced after the hurricane last spring. The Grand Duchess came over and helped her Daddy stain quite a few slats. This was the day after the Shabbat we talked about "She shall gird herself with strength, And strengthen (amatz - encourage) her arms" during our service about the Biblical Role of Women.  


 

A peek into my day...
You know how you transfer files to a memory stick so that you can take them off of your computer and transfer them somewhere else? That's what has become of my brain. It has been loaded into apps so that I can carry my brain around on my phone and take it out and look at it. You know for years as a wife and mom, Cozi was my go-to app. As a student, it is Student Planner. In the fall, when I am teaching history (2 students registered so far!), I will have to find an app for that too.

My self-care efforts...
Princess Butterfly, my neighbor Jirani (Swahili for neighbor, as she is from Kenya), and I have all rejoined the YMCA. We have let our membership lapse for the past 5 years or so. Since I was rear-ended in January by a drunk driver, I have been seeing a chiropractor. It is essential that I keep my body pliable. Stress aggravates it and when I have my followup visits, if I haven't taken proper self-care, his manipulation feels like a WWF wrestling match. On Wednesdays, I walk with the Phi Theta Kappa group. Our community college is in an old mall so there is plenty of room to walk. Princess Butterfly get in the heated therapy pool on Thursdays after our last class and the weightlessness temporarily aids my achy joints. Jirani and I plan to start going together on Sundays.
Shalom and blessings!

Comments