Donalacasa's Daybook: Monday, August 21, 2017



Outside my window...
Okay, so I'm going to tell you a story. During the eclipse of 1979, we were told by our teacher
not to look up at the sun. Guess who did? I thought I could do it quickly and not get caught.
I didn't get my childhood nickname of "Slowpoke" for nothing. So I was sent inside and didn't
get to see the whole thing. Today, VINDICATION! I sat at my kitchen table with Princess
Butterfly, eating grapes and watching the crescent wax and wane on the shadow cast by a
pinhole in a 3x5 card on another 3x5 card. We watched the whole thing, although Princess
Butterfly was complaining that it really didn't get dark in central Texas, it still was something
she can tell her children about one day. Imagine my surprise that Crown Prince Sanban's
very pricey university's physics class was using the same method. I guess I expected
something fancier from them. The Grand Duchess watched with a filtered telescope on her
job. I hate the hype before it happens, but it was fun to experience it. I am thinking...
About one of my great aunts. She lives a 2-hour drive from me. She has 3 children. Her two
sons live in Colorado and her daughter, 10 months older than me, is incarcerated. Her late
husband's family doesn't have anything to do with her and my other cousins around the state
are already caring for aging relatives. I gave her some contact cards to give to her physicians
in case of an emergency. She had a mini stroke earlier this summer and I didn't find out
about it until after the fact. Her doctor called me the other day. She suggested to my aunt
that she do something about her isolated living condition now, while she can make decisions
for herself. My aunt found an assisted living facility that she likes that seems perfect for her,
but now is having second thoughts. I am going to visit with her and her attorney about the
possibility of becoming a power of attorney and also to see this place. Maybe I will make an
appointment to see some other places too to give her some options and see if she prefers one
over another.
I am wearing...
Can I just say that I am a fan of the ladies lingerie from JC Penney that comes in nude shades
for women of color. I can wear blouses without an additional tank top because it blends in so
well. I am still preparing for going back to school. I bought a new pair of jeans from
Maurice's. I also bought a denim jacket from Maurice's too. Believe it or not, I have always
wanted a denim jacket and have never owned one. All kinds of things happen when you
become un femme d'un certain age. I also put some tops on layaway at Cato.
I am reading...
I am still reading through an anthology of American literature so that eventually I can CLEP
the class. I am watching...
I finished Miss Fisher Mysteries. I miss her fancy outfits. I am now watching Murdoch
Mysteries. It is a really weird transition because some things about the show are similar.
Miss Fisher is set in 1920s Australia and Murdoch is set in 1890s Toronto. Both shows
include a constabulary with an inspector and a constable. The constable wears the same
uniform in both shows. Both shows also have a female medical examiner, though Murdoch's
is feminine and heterosexual. I am hoping...
That my son will have a great school year. I am praying for my children, that Yehovah will give them the desires of their hearts, open doors that no man can close, and as Friend Hubby blesses them every Shabbat, that His full will would be accomplished in their lives.
One of my favorite things...
Hearing The Grand Duchess' key in the door. Even when she lived an hour and a half away, knowing that we don't have the kind of relationship that she's got to stand on the doorstep and ring the doorbell, as Friend Hubby and I did with our family homes. This framed shadowbox now hangs in our foyer. Part of it says, "Home...Where I always end up." I hope they travel the world and always remember to come home and tell me all about it (and what they had for snack -- inside joke). From the learning rooms...
Princess Butterfly and I are sneaking up on this Algebra 2, trying to get a head start on it. Doing it with me gives her confidence. It is taking FOREVER for the solutions manual to arrive though. Her driving is coming along, slowly but surely. She drove me to our local crunchy grocery store today. She took a circuitous route, avoiding the boulevard. It was about 3.3 miles. The normal route is 1.8 miles. She did a great job. One of my Girl Scouts had a rollover accident this week. We are all very grateful that she had nothing but scratches, but it makes me feel more confident to know that we didn't rush our children into independent driving. She can just drive me around until she leaves for college -- next year-- *sigh*.

In other news, our last homeschool co-op orientation is coming up this week. One of the teachers has agreed to be the sustainability portion of Princess Butterfly's Girl Scout Gold Award project. Huzzah!

I am starting to review my French both with Duolingo and I am going to start going through the workbook at the back of the book soon. For us, school starts this coming Monday. I am SO ready! From the kitchen...
Friend Hubby and The Grand Duchess were in the kitchen on Sunday frying chicken. I happened to pop into the kitchen. The grease stain on the paper towel was about 4 inches from the edge of the pan, but there were only about 5 chicken pieces in the pan. I realized that if I wanted any chicken at all, I should be in the kitchen while it happens. We ended up having chicken and waffles. Tonight we had our first pot of chili for the season.

Comments