Monday, November 14, 2016


Outside my window...  

Beautiful 72 degrees!  On Friday evening, just before the sun set, Friend Hubby, Princess Butterfly, Ellabella and I took a walk around the park across from our house.  A friendly unleashed neighborhood dog came along and immediately Ellabella got defensive.  I was annoyed.  I fussed at the teenage owner of the dog because we do have a leash law in our area, but in reality, the dog didn't do anything wrong.  It is my dog with the issue.  Later that night, this story came across my feed and it all began to make sense.  I am going to employ some of these techniques the next time we take a walk.  No one likes to be forced into a social situation, including me.  
IT’S NOT THE DOG, IT’S YOU! A SIMPLE WAY TO STOP LEASH REACTIVITY  


I am thinking...  


        

I am thankful...  

For real life outside of social media:  a husband who needs feeding, children who need encouraging, a dog that needs walking, a house that needs cleaning, food that needs preparing, books that need studying, and a community that needs prayer.  I don't need to ingest every scrap of information on the internet to enjoy my life.  I want to live and think as an individual not as the spiritual principality where I live wants me to think and not how my social media friends tell me to think.  That was the beauty of homeschooling my children, seeing them learn to think as individuals, not as the government school told them to think.  It would be hypocritical of me to train them to think as individuals and not give myself the same chance.  I am also thankful that I don't have to puff out my chest and tell everyone what I think of every situation.  I can pray on things.  I can hide some things in my heart.  I can discuss things with my family in the privacy of my home.  Pouring out our innermost thoughts on to social media and then fighting with anyone who doesn't agree with them has gotten just plain old.  Remember when HGTV was more about decorating the home you lived in rather than getting it ready to sell?  Yeah.  Same with social media.  Bring back the photos of births, marriages, and graduations.  Bring back the good tried and true recipes.  Bring back successfully completed handcrafts and home improvement projects.  Yeah.  


I am wearing...  

My around-the-house knit shorts and a casual top.  
   

I am creating...  

Friend Hubby and I started a YouTube Channel to give smaller bites of teaching than can occur in our Shabbat Services.  This is our first one:  


   

I am reading... 

 I think I read New England White one time this week.  

I am watching...  

I finished Season 5 of Call the Midwife.  Stupid BBC always killing off major characters!  At least she had a good death, not a dumb one.  
   

I am listening to...  

Because my World Literature class is online, I get no lecturing or classroom discussions.  I have about 4 days to get through Don Quixote.  I am listening to Yale's Open Courses to help me think deeper about what I'm reading.  


I am looking forward to...  

The Grand Duchess and Sanban coming home at the end of this week.  My babies!  
   

I am learning...  

Something that I shared in our Shabbat service this week.  We often here the term Greco-Roman when applied to the church's approach to Scripture, but I have found that very few people who repeat that can tell the difference between something that came from Greek philosophy or Roman philosophy.  They just absent-mindedly repeat what they have heard.  That was one of the reasons I wanted to return to school, to wade through internet-lore and get some facts behind my teaching.  One of the Greek philosophies I learned about recently was asceticism:  "severe self-discipline and avoidance of all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons."  I have seen entirely too much of this in the Hebrew roots community.  If you are trusting in self-abuse as a means of spiritual enlightenment or elevation, you are not trusting in the Elohim of Yisrael for your salvation.  Follow the WHOLE counsel of Scripture.   


From the learning rooms... 

Back-to-school Mom:  I was able to complete my presentation for my Humanities class on The Hebrew Bible.  Surprisingly, the classmate who was most enthusiastic about it was the Somalian Muslim student who is about my age.  She said she learned so much!  I hope it had an effect on my Morman-raised humanistic professor.  As I recited the Rev. Sam Pascoe quote, the young man who sits on the front row was smiling and nodding his head in agreement.  That got me curious, but because class was running over, most of the students left quickly, including him.  We'll see what happens on Tuesday (if I choose to go).  Apparently the discussion is about Germanic folklore, which includes werewolves and magical creatures.  I seriously doubt if my grade will be that significantly effected if I opt out of this class and discussion.  I need to focus on getting caught up on everything else, now that this is past me.  


Young Adulting:   Went to her first conference as a professional curator.  

College Freshman:  A text every now and then so we know he's still breathing.... LOL  

High School Junior:   Now that I'm past my project, I can see what help she needs in getting this Gold Award going.  Some of the girls in my Girl Scout troop really want to take an international trip after graduation.  We are getting some quotes so we will know how much we need to start saving.    



From the kitchen... 

When The Grand Duchess moved into an apartment before her junior year of college, we bought her some Family Dollar cookware.  Now that she has her first "post-grad" apartment, we decided to buy some new cookware so we passed our cookware down to The Grand Duchess and she passed hers down to Sanban.  When I first hung my new cookware on the pot rack above my kitchen island, sadness came over me.  Adjusting to my almost empty nest is hard (well, except for the more frequent shopping and meals out -- frolicking as Sanban calls it).  I miss our family dinners with the whole family here.  Now I have this fancy new cookware to cook for 3 people.  (sigh)

I really do love it though.  It is a 13-piece set.  The set includes  a large covered saucepan, a steamer, a smaller covered saucepan, a sauté pan, a covered casserole, a bigger stockpot than my last one.  I made caldo verde and it looked like I had halved the recipe!  It also came with small and medium sized skillets.  We didn't pass the largest skillet down to The Grand Duchess.  Cleaning them is a breeze!

I will also need to replace my tea kettle that I left at the campground at Sukkot.  I feel so embarrassed without it.  If only I had the electric tea kettle that I had asked for on my last birthday..... LOL  I refuse to use the microwave so I am boiling water in the small saucepan.  


  
My favorite new thing to cook is panko-coated, pan fried boneless turkey breast cutlets.  I just season and press the panko into both sides.  I fry in about a half inch of avocado oil.   They get done so quickly, they are an easy weeknight meal to make.  


Around the house...

Working on getting rid of mountains of old mail.   


My self-care... 

I have lost about 5 pounds in the last month.  Go me!  These are the goals I am shooting for:  

  • A minimum of 6000 steps every day (S Health app).  
  • The full amount of water my app tells me I need to drink (Hydro Coach app).
  • Full accountability for my calorie consumption, including strength training, cardio, and flexibility exercises (MyFitnessPal).
  • A minimum of 7 hours of sleep nightly according to my CPAP machine daily report.        

Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

Comments