Monday, September 5, 2016


Outside my window...  

Texas.  That says it all.    


I am thinking...  

For 3 weekends in a row, we have been waiting on a definite word of affirmation for both Friend Hubby and The Grand Duchess.  Praying that Tuesday will be V-Day for both of them.  Praising Abba in advance for what He is about to do.  


Also this:  


This is so good. We have seen people try to teach a message of anti-intellectualism using 1 Corinthians 1. You can't have wisdom without knowledge. Also, wisdom is not synonymous with education. Education is the pursuit of knowledge. Our pastor in Okinawa used to say that we should give our children a head knowledge and a hand knowledge.  Not everyone is academically inclined but one should become proficient in whatever field one is led to employ.  There is a Jewish proverb that says, "He who does not teach his son a trade, teaches him to be a thief.”  When we studied the 10 Commandments in their proper order using the Paleo-Hebrew aleph bet, we discovered that the commandment to not steal coincides with the Hebrew letter "yod" which is symbolized by a hand.  Those who don't become experts in their fields will soon be holding out their hands for a handout.  



1 Corinthians 1 is not teaching that everyone uneducated is wise and everyone educated is foolish. That is extremely foolish thinking. Wisdom is how you interact with the knowledge that you have received. No knowledge, no wisdom. No wisdom, no understanding. Get wisdom and in all your getting, get an understanding. Also there is a difference between childISH and childLIKE. You don't gain understanding by only watching children's television.  That is childISH.  You gain understanding when you are humble enough to know that no matter how much you think you know, there is always so much more to learn.  


I am thankful...  

The Grand Duchess turned 25 years old last week!!!  There was no time for a Daybook.  Too busy attending her at court and things.  :-)  We weren't able to celebrate like I would like, but believe me, if all goes well this week, next month we'll have to have a makeup celebration.  

Also, we moved The Grand Duchess out of her apartment without a medical emergency for Friend Hubby who was trying to be Mr. Incredible.  Thankful also for Sanban who showed up at the end of the day to keep his father from going into overdrive.  I was also thankful for getting to see Sanban again.  Yes, it had only been 2 weeks since he moved in, but it was good to see him happy and doing well.  However, I think the dog is depressed.  I have to take her on walks more frequently and hide treats for her to find.  As we get into the fall schedule, I will get back to training.  I used to think I needed fancy dog treats to train her, but she loves crackers so much, I'll just use those.  

This is not actually our dachshund.  


I am wearing...  

I had errands to run after getting in my Sunday morning workout.  The Grand Duchess made me get dressier than I planned.  

Just kidding.     


I am creating...  

For REAL I need to finish knitting my great-aunt's shawl.  It's been a year.  Her birthday is September 17th.  
   


I am reading... 

 I am still loving Back Channel by Stephen L. Carter.  He has strategically placed characters from other novels in this one.  I think this is the most I've seen yet.  The elderly dying main character of Jericho's Fall is a young state department employee in Back Channel.  


I am watching...  

While searching for support materials for my upcoming African American history class, I came across this video.  My knowledge of African history is lacking so I need all the help I can get.  

 
   


One of my favorite things...  

Getting to eat dinner with Friend Hubby, The Grand Duchess, and Sanban.  Princess Butterfly wasn't able to come because she was starting class.  I'm proud of her, though.  She handled her business while the rest of us were packing up The Grand Duchess.  


A few plans for the rest of the week...  

I have been toying with bullet journaling.  I am waiting to be accepted into a bujo group for students.  I found it interesting that they did a poll on the list and found that over half the list are the personality type INTJ.  That is fascinating!  I added a friend just because I knew that that was her personality type.  


From the learning rooms... 

Back-to-school Mom:   My World Literature book has arrived.  I have had my first real study session in American Government.  I am actually using Princess Butterfly's textbook to study from, as I plan to CLEP the class.  I'll be getting started with that.  I'm just waiting for my African American History textbook to arrive.  

Young Adulting:  I had a conversation with The Grand Duchess about the reaches of our Home Owner's Association, what they can and cannot do.  She was saying that there ought to be a class for this type of information.  I'm sure there are first-time home buying classes, but other things that Friend Hubby and I have had to discuss with her are just as the situation arises.  I don't think it is possible to learn EVERYTHING ahead of time.  Some things you just have to learn as you go, such as dealing with car issues.  When you own an older car, you never know what's going to break next.  Relationship and gender issues are also something that you have to learn as you go.  No one seems to follow the textbook.    

College Freshman:  I pray he is finding his flow as far as his class load.  I've noticed a couple of things popping up in Cozi.  He is still using it!  For all the trouble I had getting him to put his work schedule in Cozi, maybe he sees what strikes us all as we get older:  

  

High School Junior:   She's off to a great start.  Her American Government class is actually honors level.  She'll need to work hard for that.  It is great that she is taking it this year since the Texas legislature will be in session this spring.  They only meet every other year.  I'm also going to get her enrolled into TeenPact, and try to find out how to get her into Girl State some time next summer.  Just like my Public Speaking and Humanities courses don't start until later in the semester, I am going to wait until after she takes the PSAT in mid October to start her other courses like business math.  



Pondering these words... 



Around the house...

I have done a lot of work in the gameroom, getting it ready for the school year.  So many workbooks from my children's early education.  I miss homeschooling littles.   


Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

Comments