Monday, June 27, 2016

Outside my window...  


I am thinking...  

A couple of weeks ago when I learned what my MBTI personality is (INFP), a lifetime of "Why can't I be like other people?" began to make since.  My family is pretty much tired of hearing me talk about it, but I am not finish exploring who I am and what makes my family tick as well.  
I mentioned last week that Friend Hubby is stressed out over his stepfather's cancer diagnosis.  This is an article I found called How Each MBTI Type Responds to Stress.
Because we respond differently to stress, the challenge is not allowing his stress to stress me out because we have two different responses to stress.  Also, I am pretty sure my dog, like other dachshunds is an ENTP.    

  
   
I am thankful... 

This weekend we attended another homeschool graduation.  This time for Ms. Sophia's son.  I was almost as emotional as for my own son.  We were running late, but we got there just in time for the slide show.  His little sister did a great job putting it together.  Ms. Sophia's husband gave a moving explanation for the name of their homeschool.  He mentioned that their stillborn son's name was part of it.  I met Ms. Sophia when our sons were  7 or 8 years old, so our friendship has spanned a decade now.  I feel like I've known her my whole life.  I don't know if I have made a blog name for my other homeschool mom friend, the one we did the court of honor with.  I looked at my previous blogs and I can't find one.  She was sharing with us that she is shy.  I can see that in her daughter, but I think from the moment we met we have been very chatty with one another.  She has a beautiful smile.  She is also a nurse, so I guess I will call her Ms. Nightingale.  Our sons met when they were about 10 and have been fast friends ever since, even after they moved to out of state for 3 years.  

I was watching the 3 young men on the dance floor doing the Macarena.  I can't believe they are grown up already.  When Sanban got up to speak at his Court of Honor a couple of weeks ago, he referred to Ms. Sophia's son as his brother.  None of them have brothers so I guess in a way, that's what they really are to one another.  While I was watching them on the dance floor, I thought that the next time we see the 3 of them together like that might be at one of their weddings.  (big sigh)  

Both Ms. Sophia and Ms. Nightingale's sons are taking different routes to become pastors.  Ms. Sophia's son is going to build houses for Habitat for Humanity and then go to the mission field.  Ms. Nightingale's son is going to seminary an hour and a half north of Sanban's college, which is great because he can always pop in and pick Sanban up on his way home.      


I am wearing...  

Knit shorts and an old T-shirt.  
   
I am creating...  

I spent some time knitting last Tuesday night when I took Sanban and Princess Butterfly to CAP.  I have started on my Daybook early so that I am not doing it when I should be working.    
   
I am reading...  

I LOVE Jericho Falls.  The story is not related to Stephen L. Carter's other novels (or so I thought), but he always manages to weave in something from another book into each.  Last night, while reading in bed, I literally yelled out loud, "You have got to be kidding me!" when I discovered something in this one.  Friend Hubby didn't seem bothered.  
   
I am listening to...  

My Shabbat began with this beautiful song.  I'll probably be listening to it all week.  



I am watching...  

A video called Tips on How to Do Dachshund Training.  I don't have $190 to spend on a Dog Manners class.  So I started thinking.  How is it that I could homeschool my children without sending them to school.  Why can't I homeschool the dog?  I can spend 5 minutes a day working on some training skills.  I'm sure YouTube can teach me how to train her to do what the dog training school agenda has on it:  Sit, Down, Leave It, Loose Leash Walking, Stay, Recall, Emergency Recall, Greeting People, Greeting Dogs, Shake and Roll-over, with a few exceptions.  The Bible says that a child without training shames his mother.  I don't want to be a shameful dog mom.       


I am learning...  

This article was a very good read.  Post-Traumatic Slave Syndrome and Intergenerational Trauma: Slavery is Like a Curse Passing Through the DNA of Black People,  

" The Bible refers to generational curses and influences, and interestingly nature actually supports what the Bible says, which is, there is an effect on the molecular epigenetic information that is affected by stress that is transgenerational and passed on to your offspring."

"Behavior therapy, environmental enrichment has been shown to cure a number of these orders. Exposing yourself to new, novel things is good for you, but we don't do enough of it."
I think behavior therapy for me is learning about other cultures through reading and watching shows that teach me about a culture other than my own.  Snowflower and the Secret Fan taught me about foot binding in ancient China.  It made me think of the pain that women around the world have endured in order to be thought of as desirable and worthy.  It also taught me that forgiveness is necessary across all cultural boundaries.  Things Fall Apart taught me about the destructiveness that some Christian missionaries brought to otherwise unified communities, while Cameron Townsend:  Good News in Every Language taught me about the bravery of other missionaries in their attempt to make the Bible accessible to every kindred, nation, tongue, and tribe.  

There is a similar study among the descendants of Holocaust victims.  Study of Holocaust survivors finds trauma passed on to children's genes.  When I first came in to Torah, a Torah teacher basically said that Torah could re-write your DNA.  I believe that.  I believe the Torah is the "Factory Reset" for all of human existence.  As we reprogram ourselves to come in line with our Creator's basic programming, the blessings of obedience are able to be passed down to the thousandth generation of those who love Him and keep His commandments.  Sin is held in the DNA for 3 or 4 generations.  I have to laugh at this one because in the last week, I have traced Friend Hubby's geneaology back to a literate free former slave as early as the early 1800s.  I was so impressed!  Meanwhile, a distant cousin of mine found the arrest record for my 3rd great-grandfather, a Cherokee slave, for boarding two horse thieves, helping them to escape, and getting arrested himself.  I hope we've gotten that out of our system by now.  LOL!!


One of my favorite things...  

Fellow-shipping with the "school district."  When I started working more and more as a transcriptionist, I got increasingly disconnected to the homeschool community.  The "school district" is a phrase coined by another African American homeschool mom to describe our homeschool community.  I love talking to her.  She is such an encouragement to me.  I am hoping to really get our group going again this school year.  In the past week, I have been contacted by two different AA homeschool moms who are planning on moving to our area this next year.  When I moved here, I was warmly welcomed by a friendly homeschool group.  I hope they have the same experience with us.         

From the learning rooms... 

The Historian:  Please keep The Grand Duchess in prayer.  She's applying for ALL the jobs!  Pray that she will get an interview soon!    

College Freshman:  College orientation this week.  We'll be able to see Sanban's dorm.  Even The Grand Duchess has never been there.  We'll also work on packing up what we can of The Grand Duchess's apartment.  

High School Junior:  This week I need to look into FBLA for Princess Butterfly.  I saw on Instagram that they are having their competitions or conferences, whatever it is that they offer, this week.  We need to also get started on the Girl Scout Gold Award proposal.  

Back-to-school Mom:  Still waiting from a letter from the University of Maryland stating they never heard of me.  LOL


From the kitchen... 

Beans, Rice, and Grains...  Success!  I made my family some Japanese-style fried rice and they loved it.  This is great because they are a hard crowd to please.  I started here and then modified it my way without the bacon.  Yakimeshi Japanese Fried Rice.  Japanese Fried Rice is not the same as Chinese Fried Rice.  The Grand Duchess is the expert in making that.  I actually had a bad dream after I made it that a Filipino friend tried it and didn't like it.  Their fried rice is different too.   

Poultry:... Friend Hubby made some buffalo wings for Shabbat.  


Around the house...

Zone 4 (Master Bedroom, bath, closet):...  On Sunday morning, I downloaded another Pomodoro timer on my phone.  Last week, a co-worker and I started using it again and getting much more work done.  I was able to do some more work in my closet, where my children end up putting things they don't want but don't know what to do with.  I also did some much needed vacuuming in the Master Suite.  I was pretty impressed, not only with the productivity but with the workout as well.    


Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

Comments