Monday, February 1, 2016


Outside my window...  It had to have been the warmest January on record.  

I am thinking...
  • That it takes an enormous amount of mental and spiritual strength to talk to the doctor's office and pharmacies about my husband's medications using my inside voice.  
  • That the post office no longer employs people who can read cursive handwriting.  They returned a letter that was addressed exactly as it should be.  
  • That in addition to being illiterate in "computerese" I am additionally illiterate in "computerese" accompanied by an Indian accent.  
  • The enemy uses situations to get us hot and flustered and to doubt Yah's providence in our lives, but the very thing He uses, Yah uses as well to open a door.    
I am thankful...  My computer breakdown last week was actually a good thing.  Now I am back to working only for one company, Monday through Friday, with benefits.  Bless His name!  

I am wearing... I think I'm a little dressier than usual, at least I'm wearing a blouse as opposed to a Tee shirt.  Yesterday, I decided to pay '50s housewife and get dressed up to do my shopping. I have re-discovered a store that used to be very close to us but moved called Cato.  The Grand Duchess bought most of her teenage wardrobe from there.  She even tried to get a job there once.  It is ideal for a teen girl to build her wardrobe because they have layaway.  I plan on taking Princess Butterfly with me the next time I go.  The clothes are reasonably priced and good quality.  I still have a pair of dress pants that I bought from there years ago.  

I am creating...  Cookie booths can be a good place to knit.  I got in a couple of rows last time.  

I am going... This month on Donalacasa:  The Lady of the House, we are challenging ourselves to go to bed on time every day this month.  I don't think "she rises while it is yet night" and "her candle goeth not out by night" happened in the same night too often.  If I want to lose weight, be organized, and stay on top of my production goals, sleep is essential.    

I am reading... I am still reading "A Free Man of Color" and to my surprise, Princess Butterfly's name is in it.  It even says C****, the youngest.  LOL  

I am watching.... The Grand Duchess posted a video by Andy Stanley that is pretty much a rebuke aimed at my generation and I RECEIVE it on behalf of my generation.  We are supposed to be passing on the FAITH and too many of my generation are passing on their FEAR and DOUBT.  STOP IT!  









Interestingly, he also posted a video about wise time management and not putting things off until the last minute.  I would appreciate it if my children would take it as a rebuke and stop stressing me out with last minute assignments!!!!


From the learning rooms... 
Senior:   Sanban's Eagle Scout project work day is FINISHED!  There was a bit of a panic last week when we thought there weren't going to be enough people to do the project and we had no days left to make it up.  The minimum was 15 and by Thursday he only had 10 signed up and 4 of us were his family.  He ended up having 28 people show (29 if you count the one who came at the end but helped with the cleanup).  The weather could not have been more perfect.  Who has 80 degree weather in January???  Now he's got to finish the closing paperwork, get checked off on merit badges, and he turns 18 years old in 10 days.  He handled himself like a boss at the work day.  An Eagle Scout project is essentially project management.  

On Wednesday, after he told me that he hadn't had enough people sign up, I was upset.  I was upset through the cookie booth Princess Butterfly and I were doing.  A man came out and started to walk by.  Princess Butterfly is really good at making sure she asks EVERYONE coming out the door, especially those who try to sneak by without making eye contact.  When she made eye contact with this guy, he sneered, "Where's your Girl Scout?"  Because Girl Scouts are thought of as little girls, he thought we were two adults selling Girl Scout Cookies.  I told Princess Butterfly to show him her membership stars on her vest.  She's been a Girl Scout going on 10 years now and the stars reflect that.  He was a bit embarrassed and explained to us that he is an Eagle Scout.  I say IS because once an Eagle, always an Eagle.  I told him Sanban was working on his and he said, "Tell him, from one Eagle Scout to another, GET IT!  The Eagle has been opening doors for me all my life."  The same night, an older African American preacher came by the booth as well and encouraged Princess Butterfly (who had just shared with me how she felt called to teach the Word) to make sure she got a good education as well.  

After the cookie booth, I asked Princess Butterfly to pray for me to stop stressing and just trust Yah that the project was going to get done.  In spite of how controversial Boy Scouts of America has become, it was established as a means for boys to become skilled men.  The Eagle was designed for them to become leaders and project managers.  Friend Hubby as well has driven for Uber and picked up Eagle Scouts who have encouraged him, "Make sure your son gets it!"  Two of his friends came to the project who have both earned their's in this last year.  They are both African American young men.  In this country it is an established fact statistically, that black men must be twice as qualified to be hired for the same job.  We see it in Friend Hubby's life, even with his degree and YEARS of experience, there are just not many African American men in his field so his ability to do the job is questioned.  

My lovely friend, the mother of one of these young men explained it like Noah and the boat.  Maybe his son's didn't understand why they were building an ark, but if Noah said to his sons, "Just trust me," they would be able to see later on why it was worth it to just go along.  That's what the Eagle is to us parents.  We know how hard it is.  Just trust us.  It will be worth it.    

Tim Conway is me in this clip, waiting for this Eagle Scout project to be finished.  This is in a play list.  You might want to stop the video after the clip is over.  

Sophomore:  I'm overhearing a conversation between Sanban and Princess Butterfly about her knowing emergency preparedness procedures on campus.  Fire and tornado drills, I understand, but why oh why as a nation have we gotten to the point that we have prepare our college students to know what to do in case of an active shooter on campus.  How heartbreaking is that?  

She is trying to find her flow with the added college class.  It is a challenge, but I know she'll do it.  

From the kitchen...  Nothing special from me, but Friend Hubby has been putting some steaks out on the grill.  This summer January weather has been amazing.    

Around the house...  Trying to prepare myself for when Sanban leaves for college, I decided I would try to empty the vacuum cleaner myself.  I did but then I couldn't put it back together and he was at work.  This morning, Ella The Dachsund was not happy to find the vacuum cleaner, her enemy, in her happy place (the gameroom).  She took her revenge out on it by peeing a puddle right next to it, not 30 seconds after coming upstairs.  *sigh*  She's banished to the back yard for the day.  

Tomorrow, I'm going to try out the new dog wash.  You pay $12 and wash your own dog.  They supply a rubber apron, shampoo, conditioner, towels, dryer, and even toothpaste.  You take your dog into a bay with a deep sink that is just the right height.  Even if they jump out, they can't escape the bay.    

Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/ *

Find me on Facebook.

Comments