Monday, December 21, 2015



Outside my window... It's December 21st and 74 degrees.  I'm good with that!  

I am thankful... 
Princess Butterfly's Sweet 16 birthday celebration continued throughout the week, starting with her party last Sunday.  On Monday, a friend and her mom came and picked her up and took her to our favorite "girly" hangout La Madeleine.  I know it's not a ladies only restaurant, but it's where we like to go when we want to hang out with the girls.  

On Thursday, another friend who works in one of those fancy movie houses where you can order dinner gave our family free tickets to see Star Wars before everyone else did.   I wasn't looking forward to it because I just don't have a SciFi imagination. I actually thought I would end up falling asleep because the seats recline and the movie started at 9 at night. I ended up clapping my hands like a little girl just because of the nostalgia of it, seeing the 1977 characters again after all these years. (I didn't see 4, 5, and 6). 

I know that many of my Day Book readers don't watch movies like this and I'm okay with that too.  James says that every man is tempted when he's drawn away of his OWN lust and enticed. You have to do your research and decide what's right for you and your children. As parents, we forbade Harry Potter and Twilight, but we allowed Narnia.  You have to make decisions for your family based on your faith, not on anyone's guilt trip or your attempt at man-pleasing.  This is not a salvific issue and not worth dividing the body of Messiah over. 

The finale was Friend Hubby's spécialité.  His world renowned prime rib dinner.  Princess Butterfly and I got dressed up for the occasion.  Because The Grand Duchess and Sanban served as sous chefs and wait staff, they did not and neither did Friend Hubby.  Sanban chose some elegant dinner music complete with the sound of a crackling fire.  The table was set with the schmancy dishes and drew my attention to the fact that I really need to work on items for a beautiful tablescape.  

I hope that for our Princess Butterfly that this was a birthday to remember.  <3
      
I am wearing... A sweater and velour pants, which I'm kind of embarrassed about.  My daughters and I had a girls morning out and discussed our desire to be intentionally more feminine in our appearance (particularly in light of the androgynous culture we live in), but after last night's getting gussied up for Princess Butterfly's special dinner, I was really tired and not expecting to be out as long as I was.    

I am creating...  I have knitted a few more rows.  Last week when I listed all the crafts my daughters and I do, I COMPLETELY left off cake decorating, which was the main craft that helped to fund my homeschooling the entire time we lived overseas. 

I am reading... I started reading a new book called Praying the News: Your Prayers Are More Powerful than You Know.  On Shabbat, I talked about the Scripture where Yeshua says to WATCH and PRAY.  I think I encounter people who lean to one side or the other.  There are people who are so watchful, that they are not prayerful and they don't demonstrate that they have any faith in Abba whatsoever.  


Psalm 47:7-9 (CJB)For [Yah] is king of all the earth;sing praises in a maskil.[Yah] rules the nations;[Yah] sits on His holy throne.The leaders of the people gather together,the people of the [Yah] of Avraham;for the rulers of the earth belong to [Yah],who is exalted on high.

On the other hand, you have those who are so super-spiritual that they are not paying attention to what is going on around them.  We've got to have a balance, but we also have to engage.  When we hear about violence taking place, we as the people of Yehovah should be petitioning the Heavens in order to bring His kingdom authority into every situation.  Every time we pass an ambulance or a fire truck, we should be praying.  Every time we get a "breaking news" alert on our smart devices, we should be praying.  Every time we hear an Amber Alert, we should be praying.  

I am looking forward to... Passover.  That's the next Feast Day that we will celebrate.  If the stores put up Christmas stuff in August, I see no reason not to build the anticipation of the Father's Feast Days long before they happen.  In case you're wondering, we don't celebrate Christmas.  There is plenty of research on the web to find out why.  If you search for truth, you're bound to find it.  Many, however, are not interested in searching.  

I am learning... How much of a distraction, my smart devices really are.  I haven't gotten brave enough to cut myself off completely, but I'm about to issue a self-imposed ban between the hours of 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. so I can get more use out of my daytime hours.  
One of my favorite things... My children took the lead in their Civil Air Patrol squadron this week.  Leadership is important in our family. My children take it seriously. Sanban is the new Cadet Squadron Commander and Princess Butterfly is the new 1st Sergeant. The Scripture says when the righteous are in authority the people rejoice. I pray that Yah will use their leadership skills to be a blessing to many.  

Also, The Grand Duchess testified on Shabbat about having pretty much flunked out of college sophomore year and today, 4 years later, she has a 4.0 GPA in graduate school.  All glory be to Yehovah!  

A few plans for the rest of the week...  Friend Hubby and I are going to the cemetery to put flowers on Dancing Angel's grave at the end of this week.  Dancing Angel and Princess Butterfly's birthdays are only 5 days apart.  This week, I only want my Day Book to focus on the joy of Princess Butterfly.        

From the learning rooms... 
Senior:   Given that it is holiday season, things are kind of on hold for the Eagle project, which means that after the first of the year he will have SIX WEEKS to get the project and the paperwork done.  I have no doubt that he will, but MAN why to my children have to push me to the edge????? No nice mommy for you!!!

Sophomore:  Still working on Algebra, which at this point looks more like phonics than mathematics.  

Pondering these words...  
I can't think of a better description of our Princess Butterfly.
  
From the kitchen...  I forgot to mention that last Shabbat I tried a different Slow Cooker Lasagna recipe.  I was NOT impressed.  If they say don't boil the noodles first, don't believe them.      

On one of our midweek dinners last week, we listened to an old time radio broadcast during dinner.  From Wikipedia:  "Box 13 was a syndicated radio series about the escapades of newspaperman-turned-mystery novelist Dan Holliday, played by film star Alan Ladd. Created by Ladd's company, Mayfair Productions, Box 13 premiered on December 31, 1947, over Mutual's New York flagship, WOR."  Someone on my 50s Housewife Facebook list told us about an app called Old Time Radio Player.  On Thursday's we have to drive a distance to get to the co-op and we listen to this on the way.  It was fun to listen to around the dinner table too.  

Around the house...  Not a whole lot got done this week.   

A peek into my day...  Shabbat was so relaxing.  After service and lunch, we sat around the table and talked.  Then we went for a walk in the nature preserve near our house.  We finished it off with a sunset fire in the fire pit.  I've owned it for more than a year but this is the first time I've actually used it.  


Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/ *

Find me on Facebook.

Comments