Monday, October 26, 2015


Outside my window... Sunny and 62 degrees.  We had a wonderful refreshing rain on Shabbat.  It was beautiful.  All of our snoring drowned out the rain.  LOL

I am thinking... Two different posts on Proverbs from Donalacasa:  The Lady of the House from this past week.  

From Proverbs 22:
Proverbs 22:29 ISR98 - "Do you see a man who is skilled in his work? He does stand before sovereigns, He does not stand before obscure ones."  

skilled:  (mahiyr in Hebrew) means quick, prompt, ready, diligent


I will never forget the day one of my customers told me,  "Your cakes taste wonderful and are always beautifully decorated, but because you are always late with your orders, it makes people not want to order from you."  It was a wake-up call as to how to operate in business.   I've seen people buy into a prosperous business and run it into the ground because although they may know how to do the work, they lack the wisdom and knowledge of what it takes to be successful in business.  We are supposed to do our work, not as men pleasers, but as unto Yehovah.  My daily work is my offering.  What am I giving Him?

***
From Proverbs 26:  
Proverbs 26:13-16 ISR98 - "The lazy one says, “There is a lion in the way! A fierce lion is in the streets!” As a door turns on its hinges, So does the lazy one turn on his bed. The lazy one buries his hand in a dish; It tires him to bring it back to his mouth. The lazy one is wiser in his own eyes Than seven rendering advice."   

Webster's 1828 dictionary defines one aspect of laziness as "slow; moving slowly of apparently with labor."  

Contrast this with what we learned the other day of the definition of skill which meant promptness and quick.  One thing I have noticed is that the lazy are never short on ideas.  They are visionaries!  But when it comes to carrying it out, they have every excuse in the book and give very logical explanations as to why they can't carry it out, but the end result is the same:  fruitlessness.

I am creating...  I am making good progress on my great-aunt's shawl in terms of getting it done.  As to the integrity of the pattern.... meh.  

I am reading... I have gotten back to reading before bed, as I should.  I think at a certain time of the month it is difficult for me to focus on my goals so I am all over the place, but once my cycle kicks in, I am back on track.  I have read 21% of Nella Last's War:  The Second World War Diaries of Housewife, 49.  It was recommended to me from a housewife who lives in England.  When I ordered it from Amazon, it actually shipped from England.

I have read 4% of Home Comforts:  The Art and Science of Keeping House.  I hadn't picked it up in a while, but the last portion that I read confirmed what I had already blogged about last week.  Priority #4 - My Home - The Leftover Challenge.  

I haven't picked up Fascinating Womanhood in a while.  Hopefully, I'll get in a few minutes today.  

I am watching...  The last Good Eats Episode I watched was Season 1 Episode 7, "The Dough Also Rises."  In this episode, he is making biscuits with his sassy southern grandmother that he called Ma Mae.  She was a hoot!  After I watched it, I realized that I made Alton Brown's Southern Biscuit recipe last year for Sukkot to go with the turkey sausage gravy.       

I am looking forward to... My cousin's 25th wedding anniversary celebration.  Long marriages are something I celebrate with gusto because it was something I didn't see modeled for me as a child, at least not in my parents' generation.  I want this so much for my children that I have prayed for their marriages since birth.  


I am learning... So much from searching the Scriptures for the whole month for agricultural references:  fruitfulness, harvest, winter, sowing, etc.  

One of my favorite things... Watching Little Women with my Girl Scout troop.  My co-leader had to leave the house to take her other daughter to the school and I had to sit there sucking air as Beth dies!  Fortunately, I brought my knitting along with me.  (Just keep knitting, just keep knitting.)  I was laughing at the girls' reaction to it (couldn't believe that none of the public school girls had ever watched the movie or read the book -- sad!).  Their reactions to the March girls' choices for mates was hilarious. 

Watching it, however, strengthened me to be able to finally sit down and watch the video I had made at Costco of my Dancing Angel.  I wanted to reach into the screen and hold her to me!  I can't believe that this year she will have been gone for as long as we had her with us. 

From the learning rooms... Still playing catch-up.  Praying that we will have a very productive week.  

Senior:   Waiting to find out if the beneficiary organization for his Eagle project has replied to Sanban's email.  

Sophomore:   We are backlogged on chemistry at-home tests!  

From the kitchen...  I got a lot of complements on Shabbat's meal.  On erev Shabbat I made French Onion Soup (which by the way is loaded with calories, which I don't keep track of on Shabbat...LOL).  On Shabbat we had Red Beans and Rice, HEB Organic Corn Muffins, and homemade coleslaw.  I found a copycat KFC recipe to season it and I am pleased it turned out well.  I bought bags of already shredded cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots.    









Around the house... Since MyFitnessPal allows me to count housework as exercise, I think I overdid it yesterday.  I am so sore today!  

Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/ *


Find me on Facebook.

Comments