Daybook: Sunday, September 28, 2014


Outside my window... At 6:30 p.m., it is 83 degrees outside.  

I am thinking... About how we define ourselves.  Earlier this summer, My Diva was describing the plot of a book and she used the phrase, "the mother of the dead kid."  I didn't mention anything to her, but that phrase kind of knocked me back a bit.  How could she use that phrase so flippantly when speaking to me?  I didn't dwell on it and didn't think about it again until after some conversations during Shabbat this weekend.  We recently met a woman who, within the first five minutes of introducing herself to us, total strangers, brought up her failed marriages, a prior sexual assault, and other very tragic occurrences that happened in her life many, many years ago.  None of these events had taken place likely in even the past decade.  She likely has PTSD and I don't trivialize anything she has gone through, but but she introduces herself by those events.  She defines herself by them.  That is very sad. 

I don't think my daughter had a problem using that phrase when talking to me because that is not what defines me.  It is not how she sees her mother.  It is not the sum total of who I am.  It describes a very painful event in my life, but my life encompasses SO much more than what that phrase describes.  I am a wife, a mother, a homeschool teacher, a Girl Scout leader, a minister to women, a medical transcriptionist, a singer, a writer, a reader, a niece, a cousin, a sister, a daughter, a friend.  This weekend just encouraged me to not allow my identity to be limited to one painful event in my life.  

I am thankful... That Princess Butterfly and Boy Wonder were able to spend the weekend with their big sister.  

I am wearing... Yoga pants and a top.  

I am creating... I was able to complete an entire knitted mitered square on the car ride to my daughter's place there and back.  I was carsick afterward, but I finished one.  This is one of the first that is going around the border.  

I am looking forward to... Taking our Girl Scouts on a field trip to a therapeutic horse farm this week.  

One of my favorite things... A devotional for introspection on the 10 Commandments during the 10 days between Yom Teruah and Yom Kippur "10 days of awe" from T'Shuva Ministries.  

From the learning rooms... They just returned from checking out their sister's alma mater as a possible college to attend.  I think they are more focused on where they are headed.  
Bible:  We are going to go through the introspective devotionals together this week.    
Math:   Math is going so much smoother since I have allowed them to just read the lessons, watch the videos, take the tests, and then work on which ones they've gotten wrong.  So far, I haven't seen any down side to not making them do problems they already under stand over and over and over again.  We shall see how this goes.  
Physical education:  We really have to get more exercise into our week.  Since we don't have our gym membership at the moment, I'm thinking of heading straight to the walking path at the park when classes are done for the day.  

From the kitchen...  Nothing new to report here.  I will need to sit down and get a menu planned so when I get paid, I will know exactly what I'm getting.  

Around the house... Modified FlyLady.  I just pick a room in the house and work on it for 15 minutes a day.  So far, so good.  I see progress.  

One of my favorite things... Reconnecting with an old friend on Facebook.  Knowing that a friend I have prayed for who was sick is on the mend.  


Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

Comments