Day Book, Monday, February 10, 2014

Outside my window... It is still winter and I'm still mad about it. 

I am thinking... All week a Fred Hammond song has been on my mind.  "I Wanna Know Your Ways." 

I am thankful... That Friend Hubby came through his surgery well, although discovering that his blood sugar levels were through the rough caused me several days of emotional trauma.  One day last week, I learned on Facebook that one of my classmates from junior high lost her husband to a heart attack.  It was instantaneous.  Last year, I lost my uncle, age 57, instantaneous.  A few years ago, we lost a good neighbor and friend, also in his 50s, instantaneous.  I have an unfortunate memory.  I spent 15 minutes this evening looking for my purse so I could leave the house, but my mind takes snapshots that stick with me decades later and then feeds them through feedback loops that take considerable mental effort to get out of.  There were two of them this time: 
1.      I was working in the colonel's office, preparing to substitute for his secretary who was going on leave.  It was a beautiful sunny day in the Azores.  We had the radio on in the office and Cher was singing, "sooner or later, we all sleep alone."  I hadn't even paid attention to it until the secretary pointed it out.  "It is so sad, but so true."  I had probably been married about a year, but the anxiety about one day being left to sleep alone stuck with me. 
2.     I never re-read books, unless it's for my children's schooling, but I have a paperback that I've always meant to go back and read again.  It is a true story, written by an intensive care unit nurse.  Toward the end of the book, she tells of a couple who had been married for many, many years.  When the husband dies there in the ICU, the wife looks up at the nurse and says, "You see, he was my gift from God." 

If my husband one day was just gone with no warning and no time to say goodbye, I think I could take that better than if he were gone because I didn't take the time to feed him properly because I needed to work this many hours or run off to this many activities, leaving him to eat what he felt like, rather than what was beneficial to him, I couldn't live with that. 

"She is like the merchant ships,  bringing her food from afar.  She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants."  Proverbs 31:14-15 NIV

Sometimes the best thing I can do for him is just feed him.   



Article:  Okra for Diabetes


I am wearing... Pajamas.  It's about that time. 

I am creating... I haven't gotten to the point that I am knitting one complete mitered square per day on the blanket I'm knitting for My Diva, but I am noticing how much more skillful and faster I am able to make the squares.  I went out and bought a needle so that I can begin to piece the mitered squares together.  

I Thessalonians 4:11-12 ISR98. "and to make it your ambition to live peaceably, and to attend to your own, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you, so that you behave decently toward those who are outside, and not be in any need."

I'm not talking to anyone.  I'm just sitting here in the corner knitting by myself.  If I scrunch up small enough, nobody will notice me, I won't offend anyone and no one will offend me.  Shh.  K1P2.    

I am going... Rather I should say, I went… To the gym.  I'm sore now, but yay me.  Maybe going to the gym (at least when I have to be out of the house anyway) is my way of sticking my tongue out at winter.  I am SO deconditioned, and so are my children. 

I am reading... Same stuff. 

I am looking forward to... My Boy Wonder is going to be 16 years old tomorrow.  SIXTEEN!!!!  I've got to get a photo montage together.  "Memories….light the corners of my mind…." 

One of my favorite things... Article:  This is 45.  

A few plans for the rest of the week:  Cookie booth, cookie booth, cookie booth.       

From the learning rooms... Today was a good productive day.  Tomorrow might be a two-hour delay for their co-op.  Boy Wonder is not happy about it because it means they might not get to go to Civil Air Patrol again. 

From the kitchen...  Kale, Mushroom, Feta, andMozzarella Breakfast Casserole 

 

FatFlush 


Around the house... I could use a project to work on.  Hmm. 

Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/



Comments