Donalacasa's Daybook: Monday, June 12, 2017



I am thankful...
On the way from dropping off Princess Butterfly, we stopped in and had dinner with some friends of ours. The wife was stationed with us in Germany. We've known her for over 25 years. Their home is so peaceful. They have sliding glass doors in their living room and they look out over the deer that share their land. She fed the deer and we watched the herd come and go through their hierarchy of feeding. Then they found space around the grounds and took naps. Friend Hubby and I have been there before, but since Crown Prince Sanban loves to look at different floor plans, they let him wander around their house. They are also both Air Force retirees, so of course we talked about that. It is wonderful to have friends all over the world.

I am thinking...
My car wasn't repaired as quickly as I had hoped. Friend Hubby told me that when they looked further, they found there was damage to the heat shield. I didn't know my car had a heat shield! Of course the space shuttle is the first thing that popped into my mind. I certainly wouldn't want to burn up on re-entry....


I am listening to....
Some of the stories in Norton's Anthology of American Literature, Volume B, as part of my attempt to CLEP American Literature it this fall. I am learning... About symptoms of Perimenopausal Symptoms. Apparently, it comes with becoming a Golden Girl or "une femme d'un certain âge." LOL. Abdominal weight gain, hot flashes, insomnia, mood swings, heart palpitations, poorer concentration, OH MY!

From the learning rooms...
I still feel like Princess Butterfly's being chosen as a delegate to Girls State was miraculous in and of itself, but when we made the appointment to get her physical signed, her regular physician wasn’t going to be available. She was seen instead by a physician's assistant. She is likely "une femme d'un certain âge" like myself, but when she learned the physical was for Girls State, I knew it was a divine appointment. She gushed on and on about how she had been a delegate and how it carries the weight of Eagle Scout (she's also an Eagle Scout mom like myself). Then she went on to tell how her son had campaigned during Boys State and gave her lots of advice and encouragement. Princess Butterfly left her office CHARGED! The only dark spot was a morning run to Walmart where we encountered a very obvious bigot in the checkout line. It took a bit of strength but I didn't let it affect the rest of my day, but I did want to make sure Princess Butterfly was aware of what was happening so she would know how to conduct herself if she ever encountered a similar situation alone. Noticing that...
According to my optometrist, even though I sleep with a sleep mask, my eyes are still so dry that my corneas are scratched. I have been strongly ordered to put an eye gel in my eyes at night and drops in my eyes during the day. Aging is so much fun, isn't it? From the kitchen...
Playing with this grill basket thingy I bought last year and never used. They were SO GOOD! I had to turn them frequently so they wouldn't burn. Next time, I will also cut the onions larger. I lost a few through the grate. They were coated with avocado oil, which doesn't smoke and then seasoned well. My family loved it. They had a great smoky flavor and even the leftovers were good.


Around the house...
I am in the process of culling my closet. I don't think I've ever done it so it is definitely needed.

Comments