Daybook: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - LATE EDITION

Outside my window... At 11:00 a.m., it is 85 degrees.  

I am thinking... Of applying for another transcription company.  I am thoroughly enjoying being in control of my time, but I am not making the amount of money I need to for my expenses.  I'm going to try for an early shift so (1) I can get most of it done before Sanban and Princess Butterfly get up, but after Friend Hubby goes to work, (2) I will have a several hour break between jobs so I can get some other things done.  

I am thankful... For being able to spend some time laughing and talking with my cousins, both of whom were bridesmaids in my wedding.  One of them introduced Friend Hubby to the minister who has helped her turn her life around and both of them prayed with us on our prayer call on Monday evening.  When we used to do street ministry in Germany, she was in and out of prison.  I used to say to my husband, "While I'm over here ministering to somebody else's cousin, I pray that Yehovah would send someone to minister to mine."  I was blessed that she was able to meet someone who could understand her life and minister to her.  I am hoping that Friend Hubby can be a support to her minister who has a powerful testimony of having been shot in the head, not expected to live and now is blind but serving Yah, ministering to those on the street and in prison.  Bless His name!  

I am wearing... Denim shorts and a teal short-sleeved shirt.  

I am creating... I didn't finish my great-aunt's prayer shawl in time for her birthday.  I know that I have made some mistakes in a couple of the cable rows, but I am just going to keep going.  I'm 1/4 of the way through it.  I hope to finish by this time next month.  I did get to make her a birthday cake, however.  I'm happy about that.  Even though I don't make cakes for a living any more, it makes me happy to be able to make one for family since I did the majority of my baking when we lived overseas.  

I am reading... I can't believe I have not picked up a book in a week.  Yeah, it's been like that.  

I am watching....  I cautiously began watching Astronaut Wives Club and found that I really like it, especially the first few episodes.  A couple of months ago, I watched a 1950s informational video about girls who wanted to go to college and major in Home Ec.  In the video, they mentioned something of the chemistry involved in cooking.  I remember in chemistry class they taught us "Do as you otta, add acid to watta" to remind us that we should always add an acid to a base, not a base to an acid.  The video was talking about making cream of tomato soup, adding the tomatoes to the milk, not the milk to the tomatoes, which would cause curdling.  I realized that even though I took home ec. in school, I would benefit from information like that now that I actually am a homemaker (theory versus practicum).  I decided that I would go all the way through Alton Brown's Good Eats because it is part of Cable in the Classroom.  Last night I watched Season 1, episode 1.  He looks so young!  In that one episode, I got a refresher on what part of a steer has the best cuts of meat, the differences between table salt, kosher salt, and sea salt, how to season a cast iron skillet, and temperatures for cooking steak.  Wow!  That was a lot of information!     

I am looking forward to... Sukkot.  We are not able to camp out the entire week, but I'm looking forward to the weekend.  I want to build a sukkah in the backyard.  It's a challenge because this semester, we are hardly ever at home in the evenings, it seems.  

I am learning...  Offences!  Offences! Offences! It seems as if the 10 days of Awe (the Jewish term for the 10 days between Yom Teruah (the Day of Trumpets and shouting) and Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement) have been full of one offense after another.  My cubs are being messed with so I'm trying to control the Mama Bear instinct.  Sanban was offended by someone he trusted.  The Grand Duchess has been offended by a govenment agency.  Help me, Yehovah!  

Awhile back, there was a disagreement with someone.  Ways were parted peacefully, but there is still a connection on social media to some degree, including being in some of the same groups.  One day, the person spoke of the disagreement in the group, being fully aware that the other party was also in the group and could see it.  Quite naturally, they only gave their side of the story.  I am trying not to judge this person unrighteously, but I would hope in a similar situation that I would choose to send a private message so as not to reopen old wounds.  "All have sinned and come short of His glory," right? 

Before all these things happened, I had planned to start one of my "opinion fasts."  If you don't know, every now and then, I set a specific period of time to fast from giving my opinion, unless I am specifically asked about something, including on social media.  It is an extremely humbling exercise.  I find out how well the world revolves without my help.  I chose to do something different about this situation.  

A while back, I came across an acronym for the word BLESS.  I chose to open my mouth and pray for this person using this acronym.  As I was sharing with the Grand Duchess one day, you can't really pray for a person and then malign them.  You have to either use your words for evil or for good.  

I had also been discussing with her how I received wise counsel about praying and guarding.  If you have ever been fruitful in prayer, you know that the enemy always seems to find a way to distract you and "get you back."  I had been led to pray offensively and defensively, building a spiritual hedge of protection around myself, my immediate family, parents, siblings, nieces, and nephews, all by name, even those with whom our relationship is not stellar.  This event happened the day after I spoke to her about it.  Coincidence?  I think not!    

(James 3:8-18 ISR98)  
"But no man is able to tame the tongue. It is unruly, evil, filled with deadly poison.  
With it we bless our Elohim and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of Elohim.  
Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brothers, this should not be so.  
Does the fountain send forth the sweet and the bitter from the same opening?  
My brothers, is a fig tree able to bear olives, or a grapevine figs? So neither is a fountain able to make salt and sweet water.  
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by his good behaviour his works in meekness of wisdom.  
But if you have bitter jealousy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast against and lie against the truth.  
This is not the wisdom coming down from above, but it is earthly, unspiritual, demonic.  
For where jealousy and self-seeking are, there is confusion and every foul deed.  
But the wisdom from above is first clean, then peaceable, gentle, ready to obey, filled with compassion and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.  
And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace."    

A few plans for the rest of the week:  Sitting down and making a packing list for Sukkot.        
From the learning rooms...  Sanban asked me to make a schedule, but I need to make sure even if I am doing stuff around the house, that they are staying focused.  
  
Noticing that... Apparently, September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month.  I learned about a family who planted a sunflower field in memory of their daughter who died from a glioma called Prayers from Maria.  Our Dancing Angel died from a right thalamic glioma.  I admire those who are setting up foundations and programs to memorialize their children.  I need to DO something.  

Speaking of Dancing Angel, I finally got her DVD back from Costco.  I haven't been able to watch it yet.  I keep meaning to ask Sanban to edit it for me so I can post it on YouTube.      

From the kitchen... Friend Hubby is a meat, starch, and vegetable man.  He's not fond of casseroles.  I hate the routine, so I'm trying to find a variety of recipes of alternative ways to cook the same cut of meat.  Beef Bottom Round Roast Perfection      

Around the house... When we went out of town a couple of weeks ago, we returned to find ants and moths in our pantry.  Friend Hubby and Sanban took care of the ants right away, but we have been dealing with the moths ever since.  We had an issue with moths a few years ago when our back doors had to be replaced.  Every morning and evening, I have been vacuuming moths off the ceiling with the long arm attachment.  I am happy to report that there were NO moths this morning.  Hopefully, we have seen the last of them.     

One of my favorite things... Laughing with my cousins.  I am always anxious about going around family because of past issues.  I prayed before I went and was pleasantly surprised that we were just able to laugh at all our girlhood antics (there were many).  LOL

Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/ *


Find me on Facebook.

Comments