Day Book: Monday, August 23, 2015


Did you see this story in the news?  Wisconsin man plants 4-mile stretch of sunflowers in tribute to wife who died of cancer.  What a loving memorial!     

Outside my window...  I feel like saying, "Stop asking me that question.  It's just hot, okay?"

I am thinking... About all the harassment I have gotten from my children for not putting out a day book for a month.  LOL  Every time I turned around, "Where's the day book?"  Vanity would cause me to think that they love my writing.  Reality causes me to think they use it for a tool of espionage.  

I am thankful... For many prayer requests answered over the summer, for road trips, quitting my stressful job, house guests, welcome homes, and send-offs.  Yes.  It was that kind of summer, which is why there was no day book for a number of weeks.  I am most grateful for paint!  Yes, paint.  We painted the foyer, family room, and the upstairs hall bathroom over the summer.  Painting and fixing up my house has always been an act of worship for me.  Ask me about the sunflower stencils in my kitchen if you don't know the story.  For me, it says, Abba, I appreciate what you gave me and I'm going to fix it up nice so all will know I how appreciative I am.  

I am wearing... You don't want to know.  

I am creating...  Yes.  Same blanket.  BUT, I went with my daughters to a yarn shop that is a 10-minute drive from me.  There are knitting clubs and classes.  I'm SO excited.  I'm going to be learning lots of new things.  

I am going... To volunteer as a supervisor/monitor at one of the 3 co-ops my children will be attending this fall.  It is far away from my house and I no longer have a job that will allow me to work on a public Wi-Fi.  So I will actually socialize and talk to people.  LOL  I need to do that more anyway.  

I am reading... I FINALLY finished The Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen L. Carter.  I usually stick with historical fiction but I LOVED it.  It's one of those books that make you miss the main character after you've finished the book.  This makes 2 books of his that I have read.  I read that he writes Christian fiction under a different pen name.  I will give those a try too.  At the moment, I am reading Home Comforts:  The Art & Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson.  I am also reading Nella Last's War: The Second World War Diaries of Housewife, 49, but I put it down somewhere last night and now I can't find it.  Ugh!   

I am watching....  A show called "Back in Time for Dinner."  Others might view it differently, but I watch and see the degredation of the family table over the past century, the increasing inactivity of our children, and how women over the last century have chosen unhealthy convenience food over the health of their children.  To me, it is just sad, sad, sad.    

I am hoping... To work within this 2-week energy window to get some things accomplished.  I have kept track over the last month of my energy level.  I have now pinpointed the times of the month that I can do big projects and the times where I need to slow down, listen to my body, and rest.  

I am looking forward to... Going to see The War Room with whomever in our homeschool group would like to come.   

I am also looking forward to getting my new glasses this week (the Costco man is already tired of me asking if they are ready yet), and getting the DVD we are having made from Dancing Angel's memorial video that was a compilation of many of her dances.  I put it in on August 9th.  I pray that it doesn't get damaged.  

I am learning... Keep my eyes on Yeshua and worry about MY house, MY family, and MY calling.  Don't get distracted by bumper stickers, Facebook fights, or trying to second guess if someone MIGHT have a problem with the way I live my life. As the saying goes, "What other people think of you is none of your business."  

One of my favorite things... A WONDERFUL new Facebook group with like-minded women.  The group spawned from a blog called The Modern Day 50s Housewife.  I have found a greater degree of sisterhood than in many other women's groups I belong to.  We have even started  pen pals by snail mail.  Since being a part of this group, I have had more motivation to do everything I aspire to do on Donalacasa.    

A few plans for the rest of the week:  My goodness this week is going to be BUSY.  I'm tired just thinking about it.  Must remember to pray, Pray, PRAY.      

From the learning rooms...  I officially have a high school senior and a high school sophomore.  When we first moved into our house, we constantly referred to our children's bedrooms as "the girls' room" for Dancing Angel and The Grand Duchess, and "the babies" for Sanban (The other internet name for my son was not working.  Since he is the 3rd and he speaks Japanese, Sanban will be his new internet name) and Princess Butterfly.  Now "the babies" are both in high school.  I am having issues already.  I'm going to need a lot of prayer preparing to release my boy to adulthood.  

Sanban got an A+ in his college English class over the summer.  Woot!  He also dropped his college Algebra class.  I hope the next time he takes it, it will be with a better instructor.  Still, he says he learned a lot.  I'm hoping it will really help him boost his SAT and ACT scores.  

This semester, he's taking Japanese 3 and U.S. History at the community college.  At one co-op he will be taking Pre-Calculus and at another, he will be taking physics.  At home, he will still need to work on finishing up advanced biology, and work on getting his Eagle Scout.  I will also be on the look out for every scholarship application I can find.  

Princess Butterfly is taking Midieval History and English, and a Shakespeare classes at her classical co-op.  It is much further out than where she went last year.  She's also taking SAT Prep with the same teacher who taught The Grand Duchess and Sanban.  She thanked me profusely for raising such wonderful young adults.  Wow.  Yehovah gets all the glory on that.  She will also be taking chemistry.  At home, we are going to work on finishing Algebra 1 and move into Algebra 2.  

I want to stay on top of current events this year, given that we are coming up on election season (oh joy -- said with all the sarcasm I can muster).  I also want to finish up on the health curriculum for both of them.  I only have one book.  Maybe Princess Butterfly can read it one day and Sanban another.     

Pondering these words... 
   

















From the kitchen... Friend Hubby does not like my barbecued food.  Poo!  Princess Butterfly put together a bunch of breakfast burritos for this week.  I've got some chicken marinating in the refrigerator for tomorrow, and Tuesday, which is really going to be crazy, we will have crock pot ravioli.  

I spent some time today figuring out the apps for all the stores that I shop at.  My main grocery store even has the prices so I can see if a sale at my crunchy but slightly pricey grocery store is really a deal or if it's better for me to get it somewhere else.    

Around the house... It looks like I'll be trying to get back to FlyLady because I have more energy for housekeeping on Monday than I do on Friday.  If I can keep everything else tidy, preparation day will only be about the food.  

One of my favorite things...  Sister Do Bee gave us a new coffee maker and Friend Hubby said it was the exact one he was looking at buying.  I love it when that happens!  
   

Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewoman.blogspot.com/ *


Find me on Facebook.

Comments