Donalacasa's Daybook, Saturday, August 14, 2021

 


Outside my window... I rarely go outside these days. According to Web MD's allergy count dust is EXTREMELY high right now. I am constantly clearing my throat. I am thinking... When my older two older daughters transitioned from our phonics curriculum, they went into Learning Language Arts through Literature, the Red Book. Curriculum made for homeschooled students was just coming into it's own. Parents were looking for economic alternatives to the made-for-classroom textbooks. I was thinking about them because I remember when they were spiral-bound. Buy the time our younger two came along, there were more options and LLATL had grown up to become mass-produced paperbacks. I was thinking about that as I think about curricula that I'd like to create. Little by little. 
I am praying... Life is hard right now for so many people that I love. There have been so many heartbreaking events in the lives of friends and family. Some have made me cry, some have made me want to fight. I never underestimate the power of prayer, but sometimes it takes a bit to humble my heart, and sheath the weapons of my mind.  
I am thankful... Friend Hubby made it safely home from depositing Princess Butterfly with our niece and nephew on the east coast as she prepares to begin her internship. It was a mentally fruitful road trip. I am excited about new ideas. The cover photo is a piece of original artwork done for me by one of our friend's teenage daughters. I love it! I am wearing... Nothing new. I am creating... Nothing new ... yet. I am reading... I just finished reading The Book of Lost Friends. I loved it. It was a historical fiction novel that takes place in the late 1800s. It is one of those new-fashioned novels that take place both in the past and in the "present" (about 25 years ago). It did a really good job of tying both story lines together. The past's protagonist was a sharecropper who unwittingly gets dragged into trouble with the white and Creole daughters of her former owners. The future's protagonist is a new teacher in the rural town where the past's events were rooted from. I gave it five stars in GoodReads. It was the second novel I read on my Kindle Paper White. I am using it more and more. I am listening to.... I have started listening to self-development books first thing in the morning with Audible. I just finished Empty Nest, Full Life. I had previously listened to Gun Lap. They both are books dealing with the autumn years of life. The author of Empty Nest, Full Life quoted my friend Susan Seay in one of the chapters. I said, "Okayyy." Let me run and catch up to her. LOL. I'm also listening to podcasts. This was a good one for me.  It talked about meeting friends for coffee. I've had lunch with one friend a couple of times this summer. I recently told another group of friends that I need lunch dates. I have accepted that I probably have to be the one to reach out first, but I need to stop sitting around sad waiting for someone else to do it. 
This episode also made me think of Princess Butterfly who is constantly meeting friends for coffee. The lady talked about "paying it forward" in some places. She pays double for her coffee and puts the receipt up on a bulletin board. If someone is having a hard time, they can just redeem the receipt. I could see Princess Butterfly starting something like that.  

I am watching... Friend Hubby and I had settled into watching several shows that we both liked during last school year. I've been bored with what we've been watching recently while we wait for the others to come back (except for Superman and Lois. We both think it's much better than most Superman shows we've seen in the past. When we were overseas we liked Lois and Clark. We've never really watched any others. I am looking forward to... Seeing my students again! I've heard that at least a couple of them are very excited. I have quite a few new students that I am looking forward to getting to know.
One of my favorite things... I am going to be collaborating with an online academy, teaching some classes to their students. A few plans for the rest of the week... Getting syllabi out to parents and students. I am participating in another homeschool conference this week. I have done several over the summer. I keep getting anxious about this one until I remember that I prerecorded it last month. LOL. I will also be speaking on a panel for this conference next Sunday evening. The details are on Warp & Weft History's Facebook page: Facebook.com/WeavingHistory. My self-care... I am seeing progress with weight loss. I don't always have the energy to work out, but I have done a good job with keeping a food diary with My Fitness Pal. I'm not losing it quickly, and I know that I need to get back to building muscle, but I am just happy to see those numbers go down. I have started getting up an hour earlier to make breakfast for Friend Hubby. He got a new job and his day starts earlier. That works for me. I needed to be up earlier anyway. After making his breakfast I drink my coffee while listening to Scripture. Then I pray for my family and friends and get in a short workout. I would like to get in a longer one by the end of the day, but even if that doesn't happen, I have at least done something. When I go to my desk, I set my timer for an hour with 15-minute breaks. On those breaks I bother the dog with a 5-minute mini walk by Leslie Sansone. I'm still sleeping mostly 7 hours a night, but the goal is 8. Shalom and blessings!

Comments