Sunday, October 20, 2013


Outside my window... It is partly cloudy and 52 degrees at 10:00 a.m.  We have officially entered fall weather.  I hope it lasts more than a couple of weeks!  

I am thinking... About my cousin's concert last night.  She debuted her new contemporary gospel CD.  This morning I read her dedication to "Daddy and Uncle" and almost cried.  I miss my uncles.  <3  

I am thankful... For the children in our ministry.   They blessed me yesterday with their demonstration of Scripture memorization, especially the youngest who is 7.  I always tell her she is "deep."  She has such a fiery grasp of spiritual things.  I pray she never loses that spark.  

I am wearing... Nothing to write home about.  

I am creating... My fall garden is coming along nicely.  I don't think I am motivated to keep knitting the scarf that I started.  I think I am going to look at my Pinterest Knitting board and find something challenging to do.  Once I get started, I may start going to the twice-a-month knitting club at the local library. 

I am going... Get my morning shift done quickly and work on cleaning my house and filling in lesson plans for the second quarter.  

I am reading... Still reading The Face of a Stranger by Anne Perry.  I am also reading Fierce Women:  The Power of a Soft Warrior by Kimberly Wagner.  I was reading the suggested reading in the back of the book and noticed a reference to Creative Counterpart by Linda Dillow.  When I saw that I gasped, "I have found my people!"  LOL

I am looking forward to... Praying with a young woman who came to our Shabbat service yesterday.  I am excited about what Yehovah is going to do in her life.  

I am learning... I should say re-learning what it means to practically walk out the priorities that Abba has given me to walk in, especially in just everyday decision making and in teaching my youngest daughter to walk in it as well.  

One of my favorite things... My cousin and I are working together to get the women of both our communities together on a quarterly basis.  I'm excited.  As we mentioned in our Shabbat service yesterday, so many of us who came into the knowledge of the Hebraic roots of our faith walked alone in it for so long.  That our Father is bringing us into community with others is such a relief and a challenge.  A relief because we finally have someone like-minded to talk to, and a challenge because we are able to walk out Hebrews 10:24 AMP, "And let us consider and give attentive, continuous care to watching over one another, studying how we may stir up (stimulate and incite) to love and helpful deeds and noble activities." AMP

A few plans for the rest of the week:  Things are beginning to slow down.  Archery is over.  Volleyball is almost over.  I can hear the brakes beginning to be applied.        

From the learning rooms... 
Sophomore:  
Bible:  I asked Friend Hubby to choose a chapter from Plants Grown Up for this biblical month for him to work on a memory verse based on that category.  Friend Hubby chose Leadership:  Faithfulness in Family Worship.  Last week his memory verse was Colossians 3:16.  This week, it is Hebrews 3:12-13.  
English:  He read Edgar Allan Poe this past week and was sufficiently grossed out.  LOL!  On to Ralph Waldo Emerson....
Math:   He is speaking in geometric terms all the time.  He told his younger sister she was about to be bisected.  We read a covenant Scripture and he thought of it as an If-Then statement.  
State History:   Instead of solely using the Hewitt syllabus  we are using a discarded public school Texas State History textbook.  The teacher's guide is cost prohibitive, so I think we will use the Hewitt syllabus for projects to extend learning.  
Chemistry:   He keeps hearing warnings from different people (including his older sister) about stoichiometry.  If he has trouble with it, I may insist that he watch the Khan Academy videos on it.  

Eighth grader:
Bible:  I chose a chapter from Polished Cornerstones for her to work on for this biblical month.  I chose the chapter called A Godly Woman so we can lay a foundation in her heart of what the scripture says that is.  Last week's memory verse was Galatians 5:22, 23.  This week, it is I Timothy 2:9-10.  
English:  We are about to start a mini-unit on "The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky."       
Math:  We have re-discovered that she really needs to watch a video lesson before beginning the lesson.  She has slipped from hardly getting anything wrong to getting most of the lessons wrong!  It is frustrating because I had hoped by now she would have begun Algebra 1/2.  We have no choice but to keep plugging on.  I know the pitfalls of advancing a child in math before they are really ready.   
History:  I found a link from PBS to go deeper into American History utilizing the Joy Hakim A History of US books.  I'm also looking for opportunities to incorporate African American history along side it.       
Physical Science:  She scored a 94% on the midterm!  I am so proud.  She keeps telling me not to sound so surprised.  LOL!    

From the kitchen... I worked on a number of new recipes this week.  Thursday is a Crock Pot day because of our schedule, so I think I was most impressed by the Slow Cooker Pepper Steak.   

Around the house... Not enough.  I am going to try and see what I can get done today.  Maybe my Weekly Home Blessing Hour after my morning shift (that I am late for) is over.  For me, that is doing a 5-minute clean up in each room and vacuuming or sweeping.   

One of my favorite things... Spending time with my aunt and cousins at my cousin's CD release.  It is nice to see my family on a happy occasion instead of at a funeral.  


Honor where honor is due:  http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

Comments